Start Date: Negotiable
Salary: Competitive compensation package including share options, subject to experience
Closing Date: 29/05/2022
Healx is a mission-driven technology company pioneering the next wave of drug discovery in order to bring novel, effective treatments to rare disease patients around the world. There are 7,000 known rare diseases that affect 400 million people across the globe, but only 5% of those conditions have an approved treatment. By combining frontier AI technology with deep drug discovery and development expertise, Healx can accelerate the pace, increase the scale and improve the chance of success of rare disease treatment development in order to meet this huge unmet need and have unprecedented patient impact.
At the core of our approach is Healnet, the next generation AI platform we built to attack the drug discovery problem in a massively parallel, hypothesis-free way. We deploy Healnet across three core areas: drug redevelopment, combination therapy development, and molecular enhancement. In each of these areas, Healnet uses cutting-edge AI to rapidly discover novel disease biology and modes of action - without being limited to a single target - and identify non-obvious connections between that biology and existing compounds. Our team then applies their deep drug discovery and development expertise to accelerate these novel treatment opportunities towards the clinic.
Founded in Cambridge, UK, in 2014 by Dr Tim Guilliams (a Biochemical Engineer and tech entrepreneur) and Dr David Brown (former Global Head of Drug Discovery at Roche), Healx has raised $70 million to date, added over a dozen projects to its risk-balanced therapeutic portfolio, and built a cross-functional team of over 90 tech and drug discovery experts
As a member of the R&D Team, you will be an integral part of an enthusiastic cross disciplinary group of scientists and engineers who are all committed to making the best use of their skills and knowledge to accelerate the discovery and development of rare disease treatments, allowing you to see the real world impact of your work at first hand. You will apply your experience in advancing drug discovery programmes in our portfolio using your skills in computational methods to develop bespoke solutions across all drug discovery projects within our small molecule portfolio.
- Ensuring that Healx maintains a leading position with advances in the field of cheminformatics.
- Applying cheminformatics and computational chemistry techniques in the context of new chemical entity (NCE) projects at Healx, supporting new discoveries and working closely with medicinal chemists.
- Supporting and collaborating with our drug discovery scientists in the search for safer and more efficacious treatments for rare disease.
- Ingesting and analysing large amounts of data for the prediction of novel rare disease treatments.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- An ambition and passion to apply their skills to improve human health.
- Experience of using your skills in cheminformatics and computational chemistry to impact the progression of small molecule projects within the Healx portfolio.
- Experience applying cheminformatics and computational chemistry skills to various drug discovery challenges.
- Experience in the analysis of structure-activity relationships (SAR), and utilising experimental data to build robust QSAR models.
- Experience using cheminformatics or AI techniques for de novo molecular design (e.g. fragment-based methods, generative chemistry models).
- Experience using commercial drug discovery software packages.
- Good scientific programming skills (preferably Python).
- A solid grasp of medicinal chemistry.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- More than 5 years experience applying your cheminformatics/computational chemistry skills in projects that cover both structure- and ligand-based drug discovery (SBDD/LBDD).
- Experience of other computer-aided drug design and virtual screening approaches (e.g. pharmacophore modelling, ligand docking, and homology modelling).
- Prior experience working on both drug repurposing projects and the design of NCEs.
Working at Healx
Healx is a ‘remote first’ company, and although headquartered in Cambridge, there are a number of co-working spaces at our disposal across the country that team members are welcome to work from. As such, we accept applications from candidates based in the UK outside of Cambridge, as well as those in other European countries who can continue working remotely, with opportunities to visit the office for meetups and company meetings.
As a member of the team, you will be welcomed by a diverse team of friendly colleagues with decades of accumulated experience in their areas of expertise, who are happy to help you develop your own skills in a highly collaborative environment and who are keen to provide guidance and support in your personal and career development plans.
Healx will provide you with all the support and guidance you need to help you do your best work and make a real impact. We also offer flexible working schedules to suit individual circumstances such as part-time contracts and strongly believe in maintaining a sustainable work-life balance.
For more information about Healx and how we use your data please go to https://healx.io/privacy/