Headway’s mission is a big one - to build a new mental health care system everyone can access. We’ve built technology that helps people find great therapists with the first software-enabled national network of providers accepting insurance.
1 in 4 people in the US have a treatable mental health condition, but the majority of providers don’t accept insurance, making therapy too expensive for most people. Headway is building a new mental healthcare system that everyone can access by making it easy for therapists to take insurance and scale their practice.
Headway was founded in 2019 – since then, we’ve grown into a diverse, national network of over 25,000 mental healthcare providers across all 50 states who run their practice on our software. We’re a Series C company with over $225m in funding from a16z (Andreessen Horowitz), Accel, GV (formerly Google Ventures), Spark Capital, Thrive Capital, and Health Care Service Corporation.
We want your time here to be the most meaningful experience of your career. Join us, and help change mental healthcare for the better.
About engineering at Headway
Building a new mental healthcare system at Headway is only possible because of the scale and leverage that software can provide. The engineering team at Headway is a small but mighty team using technology to build that future (and have a fun time while doing it!).
Principles that guide us:
- Focus on the mission: We view software as a means of effecting change in the world, not as an end unto itself. We write software to empower our patients and therapist to better solve the problems they’re facing.
- Ship small, learn fast: We are building new and novel products and believe that we learn what our users need by quickly shipping and iteration
- Everything is a product: Whether it's our patient search experience or a developer productivity improvement, we treat everything we build at Headway as a product with end-users in mind.
- Optimize for trust: We believe that engineers should be continually learning. To learn effectively and to be productive, engineers must feel safe asking questions and discussing mistakes.
Tools we use:
- Languages: Python 3, TypeScript
- Libraries: FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, React
- Datastores: Postgres, Redis
- Infrastructure: AWS (Fargate, ECS, S3, and more), Spark and Kafka
- Monitoring: Datadog, PagerDuty
- Version control: Github
Projects we’re working on:
There is a lot that we're building at Headway, but here are a few projects to give you an idea of the problems we're tackling.
- Privacy: Building a secure, scaleable platform and leading projects across our engineering org to ensure patient privacy and compliance as we grow.
- Core insurance and billing engine: Building the insurance systems and infrastructure that can process 1M+ appointments per month.
- Network Expansion: Building the underlying systems and internal tools to support the successful growth of our provider network nationally.
- Therapist practice management system: Building a best-in-class platform for Headway therapists to manage their patients, appointments, payments, and more.
- Patient search and matching: Transforming the therapist search experience and becoming the trusted guide for patients to find the right therapist.
Who you are
We’re looking for experienced engineers who have the ability to deal with ambiguity and learn new technologies and systems. Below are some additional experiences we think help engineers succeed at Headway.
For all engineers:
- Built web applications in a backend capacity or experience as a platform engineer
- Strong understanding of at least one programming language and comfortability with others
- Shaped work to achieve company and team goals
- Flexed into new technical and non-technical areas as projects require
- Committed team member supporting the growth of those around them
For senior engineers:
- Designed software architecture at the systems-level
- Led shaping of technical requirements, roadmaps, and strategy
- Led and mentored teams of engineers
- Evaluated new technologies and build vs. buy decisions
- Recruited, interviewed, and on-boarded engineers
Our interview process
After you apply to Headway, here are some details of what to expect during the interview process.
- Initial screen: You’ll connect with someone in recruiting so you can learn more about the team, Headway’s mission and exciting growth, and we can get a better idea of your background.
- First round: You'll meet with an engineer on the team to do some live coding and learn more about the engineering team.
- Final rounds: You’ll meet several more team members for technical and non-technical interviews and leave with a fuller picture of what it’s like to work at Headway.
- References and the Offer: Our favorite part of the process! We'll send over all of the details, including specifics on employee equity, and congratulatory messages from excited future team members!
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary information is based on a single salary target per role:
- The starting salary for entry-level career engineers is $132,500 and increases to $163,500 and $195,500 based on industry tenure and experience.
- Benefits offered include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- HSA / FSA
- Work-from-Home Stipend
- Therapy Reimbursement
- 13 paid holidays each year as well as a Holiday Break during the week between December 25th and December 31st
- Unlimited PTO
- 16-week parental leave for eligible employees
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Training and professional development
We believe a team's strength is in its people, and we cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of this problem - across race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience.
Headway is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Headway will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Headway employees work remotely across the US, with the option to work from offices in New York City and San Francisco. Headway participates in E-Verify. To learn more, click here.