Hazel Technologies Inc., founded in 2015, is a USDA-funded company that develops new technologies to improve the quality and and extend the shelf life of fresh produce throughout the global supply chain. The early-stage agricultural technology company based in Chicago is on a mission to reduce food waste. Shippers, growers, and retailers are constantly on the lookout for new ways to ship food further, enter new markets, extend the growing season, and have less food rejected at retail. The products of Hazel Technologies meet these needs by adding significant and measurable value throughout our customers' food supply chains.
Attention: This position is suitable for remote work, with as-needed travel to the company's Chicago headquarters scheduled in collaboration with the Controller.
About The Role
We are looking for a Staff Accountant to join our mission-driven, enthusiastic team in order to help drive various aspects of our accounting activity as the organization continues to grow. The ideal candidate will have 2+ years of of relevant work experience and will be ready to lead this job with energy, knowledge, skill, and a no-task-too-small attitude.
This individual will report directly to the Controller and will work with a team that operates in a fast-paced environment. This individual will have the opportunity to be a part of the company’s growth, while further developing their accounting skills, and collaborate across departments and interact with various levels of leadership.
- Responsible for various aspects of the month-end close, including monthly reconciliations of bank accounts, sales tax accounts, and other balance sheet accounts, and ensuring that reconciling items are researched and cleared in a timely manner.
- Sales tax administration: administer sales tax schedules and software tools; prepare and process sales tax remittances and reports to state agencies; reconcile sales tax-related items; and maintain compliance with various sales tax jurisdictions.
- Purchasing administration includes but is not limited to administering the purchase request process, PO generation and accuracy, appropriate GL treatment of purchases (expensed or capitalized), and reconciliation of received items.
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliations for all accounts; verifies the accuracy of bank statements; resolves questions or problems; and maintains the integrity of cash balances and cash flow systems.
- Corporate card management, including weekly reconciliations to the GL.
- Maintains current knowledge of accounting developments, practice trends, and legislation; monitors accounting systems; and recommends new or revised policies and procedures.
- Assists the Controller in coordinating the year-end financial audit and preparing schedules and documents for independent (third-party) auditors.
- Assists with the completion of other ad hoc projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent understanding of accounting principles, is detail-oriented, and is able to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- A strong team player who can also work independently to complete tasks.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, Outlook, and SharePoint, is required.
- Demonstrated ownership of accounting activities for multiple accounting functions (AR, AP, FA, etc.) or for multiple business processes (order to cash, procure to pay, issue to complete, etc.) (preferred but not required).
- Experience in manufacturing and/or international organizations is preferred but not required.
- Ability to learn new skills and the desire for upward mobility and professional growth; and enjoys working in fast-paced environments (preferred but not required).
- Avalara experience is a plus, but not required.
Salary Range: $65,000-$80,000
You'll Love Working at Hazel Because
- We've come to transform the food system. You'll be able to make a big contribution to our work at the nexus of technology, farming, and the global food industry - and we're only getting started.
- Our team is motivated by a set of shared values. These keep us on track and remind us how to be present every day in the midst of change and ambiguity. Collaboration, respect, positivity, and humility are all valued, whether in the office, at home, or on the fields, and we strive to empower individuals at every stage.
- Benefits and perks, of course!
Equal Opportunity Employer
Hazel Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. At Hazel, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at (559) 321-2146.