Hazel Technologies Inc., founded in 2015, is a USDA-funded company that develops new technologies to improve the quality and and extend the shelf life of fresh produce throughout the global supply chain. The early-stage agricultural technology company based in Chicago is on a mission to reduce food waste. Shippers, growers, and retailers are constantly on the lookout for new ways to ship food further, enter new markets, extend the growing season, and have less food rejected at retail. The products of Hazel Technologies meet these needs by adding significant and measurable value throughout our customers' food supply chains.
Attention: This position will require you to be either located in Chicago, IL, or willing to travel to our Chicago headquarters on a regular basis. We are open to U.S. based candidates coming from anywhere to relocate. For this position, we offer a relocation package.
About The Role
We are currently seeking an experienced Chemistry Manager to join our mission-driven, enthusiastic team in order to manage and maintain our Chemistry staff. The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of chemistry experience and will be ready to lead this job with energy, knowledge, skill, and a no-task-too-small attitude. A data driven and experimental, entrepreneurial mindset is key to this role and a successful candidate will bring a passion for research and scientific rigor.
This role will report to the Vice President of Research and Development and will involved direct laboratory work supporting experiment design, training of staff, and oversight of projects. This role will also work cross-functionally with the entire Research and Development team as well as key stakeholders in the Business Development, Sales, Regulatory, and Legal departments.
- Manage the chemistry team personnel.
- Coordination of cross-departmental projects.
- Scientific leadership and mentorship.
- Assist members of the chemistry staff in their personal and professional development.
- Scientific quality control: ensure that robust experiments and data are produced to support Hazel's business objectives.
- Together with the lab manager, promote a culture of safety and a productive work environment.
- Manage incoming experimental requests, assign requests to appropriate team members, and coordinate project timelines.
- Support the chemistry team through hiring and mentorship of staff.
- Conduct bi-annual reviews with all team members, set bi-annual objectives, and monitor work product output through weekly check-ins.
- Help staff prioritize work and assist in the removal of barriers to project success.
- Provide experimental design support for all chemistry trials.
- Review experimental plans to ensure efficient use of resources.
- Review experiments' data and reports and assist in the interpretation and presentation of data.
- Be a subject matter expert on Hazel products and systems.
- Be available to support the chemistry team (and others) with questions about product mechanisms and use cases, experimental methodology, and lab structure.
- Work closely with the Product Development, Production, and Regulatory teams to support the launch of new products (i.e., design internal and external trials, design quality methods, reformulate products to meet revenue and sustainability targets).
- Oversee analytical chemistry and wet labs to ensure equipment and spaces are highly functional for research.
- Monitor project spending to ensure adequate support for research operations.
- Oversee the identification of new capital equipment.
- Manage chemistry team data: support and continue to develop an organized file structure within the chemistry team.
- Implement data storage updates across the team.
- 3-5 years of professional management experience in chemistry in an industrial setting.
- PhD in chemistry or a related field.
- Hands-on chemistry skills including: wet lab techniques, analytical sample preparation, chemical synthesis, and materials characterization.
- Exhibit research excellence through publications, patents, and/or product lunches.
- High scientific communication skills displayed through both writing and presentations (to team members with scientific and nonscientific backgrounds).
- Organization and the ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Ability to pivot quickly to meet company needs.
- Passion to support a growing company and a developing team.
- Must be willing to relocate to the Chicago area and be onsite daily.
- Experience transferring products from R&D to commercial stage (preferred but not required).
- Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and/or Good Experimental Practice (GEP) knowledge and experience (preferred but not required).
- Experience in the Agricultural sciences or in the analysis of Agricultural Technology products (preferred but not required).
- Previous work at a startup company (preferred but not required).
- Technical skills in analytical instrumentation (GC, GCMS, HPLC, TGA, etc.) (preferred but not required).
You'll Love Working at Hazel Because
- We've come to transform the food system. You'll be able to make a big contribution to our work at the nexus of technology, farming, and the global food industry - and we're only getting started.
- Our team is motivated by a set of shared values. These keep us on track and remind us how to be present every day in the midst of change and ambiguity. Collaboration, respect, positivity, and humility are all valued, whether in the office, at home, or on the fields, and we strive to empower individuals at every stage.
- Benefits and perks, of course!
Equal Opportunity Employer
Hazel Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. At Hazel, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at (559) 321-2146.