Founded in 2015, Hazel Technologies Inc. is a USDA-funded company that develops new technologies to extend the quality and shelf life of fresh produce in the global supply chain. The Chicago-based early-stage agricultural technology company is on a mission to reduce food waste. Shippers, growers, and retailers are always looking for new ways to ship food further, enter new markets, extend the growing season, and have less food rejected at the retail level. Hazel Technologies’ products address these needs by adding significant and measurable value throughout our customer’s food supply chains.
Hazel Technologies is searching for a public company corporate controller to undertake all aspects of accounting management including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, treasury, and assurance. The ideal candidate possesses 12+ years of progressive accounting experience, ideally beginning in a Big Four public accounting firm. Recent experience as the senior accounting officer or controller in a public company is required. Public company/SEC reporting and SOX compliance experience required. This position reports to the Vice President of Finance.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department including month and quarter-end close for all entities ensuring compliance with US GAAP and the timely delivery of financial results on a monthly basis.
- Lead the preparation and filing of Forms 10 - Q and 10 - K, including footnotes, MD&A, tagging, and review.
- Prepare, review and/or file other periodic SEC documents.
- Coordinate the completion of, and maintain supporting documentation for, all areas of external reporting as well as the preparation of GAAP and SEC checklists.
- Lead and maintain SEC reporting calendar and coordinate review process with key stakeholders including management, auditors, and legal counsel.
- Participate in quarterly earnings process, including review of earnings release and scripts, as well as preparation of supporting financials and other related support.
- Oversee the annual audit and quarterly process including coordinating the review activities of external auditors.
- Respond to FASB proposals and SEC proposed rules on areas impacting the Company.
- Assist with responding to SEC comment letters.
- Oversee the preparation of financial materials and other materials used in presentations to the Audit Committee, Board of Directors and Senior Management.
- Manage internal controls and compliance programs and support SOX compliance efforts of the entire organization when appropriate.
- Partner with external auditors on complex transactions to ensure accounting issues are properly vetted and concluded.
- Ensure all new relevant and applicable accounting guidance from the FASB and the SEC and other regulatory agencies are properly evaluated and documented. Collaborate with key business leaders to implement any applicable accounting guidance.
- Manage and coordinate all compliance related activities with external consultants (e.g. tax compliance, etc.).
- Oversee the administration of the equity compensation program.
- Support company financings including preparation of disclosure schedules, document review, data room development and management, and financial support of due diligence processes.
- Oversee the management of leases, contracts, vendor and supplier agreements, financial instruments, and other financial commitments.
- Implement standardized policies, practices, and procedures across all accounting processes including revenue recognition, A/P, A/R, inventory, treasury, purchasing, expenses, fixed assets, and intangible assets.
- Develop, maintain, and monitor effective internal control procedures.
- Oversee, administer, and resolve matters related to tax compliance.
- Assist with establishing financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards.
- Oversee and support accounting team with dynamic leadership that creates an environment of trust and productivity. Manage and train accounting personnel.
- Prepare management reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends as directed.
- Conduct internal audits as necessary.
- Interface with external service providers in furtherance of these responsibilities.
- Protect internal data and intellectual property by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as directed.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance. Additional advanced degree is preferred.
- 12+ years of work experience.
- Active CPA license.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of relevant work experience, including Big 4 public accounting experience and SEC reporting experience with a publicly traded company.
- Excellent working knowledge of US & international accounting standards (GAAP, IFRS).
- Strong technical knowledge of SEC accounting and reporting requirements.
- Experience managing SOX requirements and SOX review, including driving testing and review by internal audit team.
- Experience with financial consolidation of international entities a plus.
- Strong understanding of economic and banking processes.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Hazel Technologies is an equal opportunity employer, committed to our diversity and inclusiveness. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, nationality, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or age. We strongly encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBTQIA community, people with disabilities and veterans to apply.