Founded in 2015, Hazel Technologies Inc. is a USDA-funded company that develops new technologies to extend the quality and shelf life of fresh produce in the global supply chain. The Chicago-based early-stage agricultural technology company is on a mission to reduce food waste. Shippers, growers, and retailers are always looking for new ways to ship food further, enter new markets, extend the growing season, and have less food rejected at the retail level. Hazel Technologies’ products address these needs by adding significant and measurable value throughout our customer’s food supply chains.
Hazel Technologies is searching for an experienced and self-motivated product professional to help form the foundation of our new Product development team and contribute to the development of the organization’s strategic goals and product lines.
The Product Development Manager will report directly to the VP of Research and Development. This position will have the following areas of responsibilities: championing new product ideas through development, building in-company collaborations between departments, developing product strategy, as well as refining product scope specifications, and messaging working collaboratively with product development, sales, research and development, marketing, supply chain, and more to accomplish company goals. Fundamentally, the position is responsible for translating late-stage laboratory prototypes to in-field applications that reduce waste and increasing produce quality in the supply chain. A working knowledge of general concepts in chemistry, materials science, plant biology, and/or sensor engineering are highly beneficial in this role.
- Closely partner with the Product Development team to help define the product as it moves from prototype to beta products
- Work cross-functionally with the Business Development, Finance, and Sales teams to define new product theses in light of customer need and technology.
- Closely partner with the supply chain team to establish prototype production strategies
- Work independently and navigating in a constantly evolving high growth environment
- Optimize model prototype COGs and perform initial refinements.
- Coordinate technical relationship with the product 3rd party manufacturers when necessary
- Manage in-field testing of new products with business development team members
- Work closely in a matrix management environment with group leaders to manage and prioritize resources effectively
- 5-8 years of experience in Product or Project Management, preferably in medical devices, agro-chemistry, and/or sensor products
- Experience managing a technical, B2B product development project
- Experience supporting physical products
- A bachelor’s degree in a technical field, including but not limited to agricultural science, physics, chemical engineering, plant biology, materials science, data science, mathematics, or chemistry.
- Demonstrated project management skills and working knowledge of standardized work practices
- Strong continuous improvement skills and leadership competencies to drive quality, delivery, and cost improvement
- International product experience
- Detail-oriented, analytical thinker and problem-solver
- Strong Communication Skills in English
- A commonly recognized project management certification (e.g. PMP, AgilePM, Change Management etc.)
- A master’s degree in a technical field
- Professional knowledge of perishable supply chains
- Proficiency in Salesforce® or other CRM Software
- Exposure to enterprise (B2B) sales
Equal Opportunity Employer
Hazel Technologies is an equal opportunity employer, committed to our diversity and inclusiveness. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, nationality, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or age. We strongly encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBTQIA community, people with disabilities and veterans to apply.