At Havenly, we believe everyone deserves a beautiful home that they love. Through our proprietary technology and our team of talented designers, we make designing and shopping for your home, fun, easy, and accessible for all.
Reporting to our Director of Engineering, and working out of our Denver headquarters, we’re looking for a Core Engineer Team Lead to join our team. As a Team Lead, you will be a player-coach that writes code every day and drives critical architecture decisions. You'll support your team with prioritization, planning, retrospectives, and mentoring, and work closely with executives and stakeholders across the organization. Our ideal candidate is excited about using algorithms and technology to solve real-life problems, has experience leading and mentoring teams, always take ownership and pride in your work, and understands how to develop for quality and scale, while moving quickly in a fast-growing company.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Hold primary accountability for core features, from prioritization to design to release
- Develop systems and scale existing services to support internet-scale deployments.
- Own the full software development lifecycle - problem definition, design, development, testing, demoing, and supporting production use of the features you own.
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to define problems, identify iterative solutions, and deliver against quarterly roadmap priorities.
- Balance immediate business objectives against long-term architectural vision, and continue to strike this balance as your team and the company grow rapidly.
- Lead by example, foster technical innovation, a customer-centric mentality, and accountability.
- Provide continuous feedback, recognition, and challenges for your team, factoring in their long-term career goals.
- Be part of an engineering organization that exists to efficiently deliver high quality code to production that powers the business
- B.S. in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent years of work experience.
- 5+ years experience developing and scaling web applications
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles and fundamentals including data structures and algorithms.
- Strong SQL proficiency
- Intimate knowledge of the Linux command line including shell scripting
- Proficient in at least one scripting language, and ability to discuss trade-offs of a few programming languages.
- Broad experience as a generalist in diverse technologies and technical challenges, in services development, systems engineering and distributed infrastructure.
- The ability to inspire other team members with their technical expertise, a relentless drive for getting things done, and a strong desire to foster knowledge sharing.
- Experience setting a strong vision and roadmap for the team and able to execute on it through leading by example.
- Ability to drive technical decision making through objectively assessing trade-offs based on architecture, scope, business priorities, and impacts to the product experience.
- Experience growing and mentoring engineers on the team.
- Ability to continuously encourage team members to come up with ideas and the ability to execute on those ideas.
- Desire to work with an ambitious team in a fast-paced environment.
It’s challenging - You get the opportunity to work hard, learn a ton, and grow your skill set. This is not a 9-5 job, we have high expectations, and every day you’ll be faced with new challenges where you have to figure out how to put one foot in front of the other and move forward.
It’s fulfilling - We get the opportunity to affect one of the most personal aspects of someone's life, their home, every single day. We feel really lucky to be able to create spaces where people feel comfortable, make lifetime memories in, and call home.
It’s fun - We truly love what we do. Growing a business is fun. Working with a team of incredibly talented people who also love what they do is fun. Getting to do what you love to do and make an impact is fun.