There is nothing like the feeling of a good night’s sleep. Cozy, wrapped-up-in-a-heavy-blanket sleep. Fire crackling, curtains drawn, DO NOT DISTURB kind of sleep. *Hygge stuff. That’s the kind of sleep we’re talking about. 85% of people agree sleep is a key to their wellbeing, but more than 50% of people are unsatisfied with their own sleep. Whether it’s stress, interruption, work, children, people need help getting great rest!
Hatch is on a mission to help everyone in the family get great sleep. Getting high quality sleep improves focus, energy, and performance no matter what you love to do in your life. We make bedside sleep devices and original content to help people wind down, sleep deeply and rise rested and relaxed. Led by Rest, the #1 baby registry item on Amazon, and Restore, our Award-winning adult focused product, we have helped over 3 million sleepers of all ages find space for rest in their lives.
Hatch is looking for a Creative Director to join our growing mar-comms leadership team and build a world-class creative org. Until now, Hatch has been mostly a direct-response marketer, supported by a strong kids business. We’re now at a stage where adult sleep is our growth engine, and we are transforming into a full-funnel marketer to grow our category and shift from being a great product into a beloved brand.
We know that consumers remember and reward wonderful creativity, and sleep is an incredible creative category. It’s something everybody does, every day, and is rife with human truths to tease, play with and pull apart in creative work. We also believe that if marketing doesn't drive conversation, it isn't working hard enough. Luckily, as the wellness category expands beyond diet and fitness, sleep has never been more in the zeitgeist. It’s impossible to scroll your feed without seeing someone post about their struggles with sleep, or the hack they’ve found, or a new study being published. The right candidate will understand how to produce creative that stands out for consumers, drives word of mouth and introduces Hatch as the leading brand in sleep wellness.
The creative director will oversee the creative output of the entire marketing team, and ultimately define our creative style as a brand. We’re looking for a creative leader to build a flexible team that can work fast and slow, produce in-house or outsource, and can flex between kid and adult. Our candidate will help build a culture of creativity within the marketing team, and ultimately within the entire business. They will partner closely with integrated marketing, social, PR, product marketing and growth to ensure our creative work is entertaining, memorable, on-brand, and business-driving.
This is an opportunity to run a killer creative team and produce A-level work for a company that is both leading and building the category at the same time. The job reports directly to the CMO, who will provide air cover as you take risks and make trouble. Come join us as we continue to grow in a market worth over $30B in the US alone.
This person must be based in the United States or Canada. Hatch is based out of California, so this role would be asked to be available during PST/PDT hours.
What You’ll Do
Within 3 Months:
You’ll immerse yourself in the category, read the research, listen to customers and understand what makes Hatch Hatch and what will make us stand out. You’ll go deep on the Hatch business and core initiatives and form a theory about what a creative team at Hatch should look like and capture it in an organizational plan. You’ll build foundational relationships with your cross-functional partners and peers. You’ll review our current creative work to understand what’s working, why, and what could be improved. You’ll jump into work in progress and provide your expert guidance.
Within 6 Months:
You’ll begin to hire your staff and define the bar for creative at Hatch. You’ll begin to build your first wholly owned campaigns, build our suite of partners, and start putting out work. You'll also narrow in on the right voice and style for our creative work. You'll work closely with our marketing ops organization to develop a flexible and fast creative model that balances internal and external production. You'll collaborate with comms, growth and marketing to generate effective, talkable creative campaign work.
After 1 Year:
You'll create an expectation in the marketplace that Hatch will produce entertaining, effective creative work that defines the category. You will have taught the business the value of creative within the marketing function as a driver of business. You will have earned even more trust and resources. You’ll be a trusted voice in many different rooms and have the space and resources to be as creative as you want to be. You'll have hit your stride as one of the industry’s best and brightest creative leaders.
What You’ll Bring
- You’re a 5-star leader and manager. You know how to find and attract talent and motivate employees and freelancers to do their best work.
- You understand business, you know how to operate at an executive level, and you can absorb a lot of ambiguous information to make smart decisions quickly.
- You have ideas at all levels and in all media, bringing as much joy and passion to high production A/V as you do to an instagram post.
- You're risk-tolerant and learn by experimenting. You're not precious and you learn quickly.
- You’ve got a proven track record for conversation-driving marketing
- You’ve got great taste.
- You’re a culture vulture, you read and watch everything, and you know what people are talking about.
- You bring a network of agencies, creatives, freelancers and producers that help us select the right team for the job.
- You’re collaborative and eager to partner with social media, PR and other marketing functions to make campaigns even bigger.
- You’ve got grit and hunger.
- You’ve worked in the creative industry for at least 15 years with relevant brands and demonstrable creative wins under your belt, including at least some time internally at a leading brand.
Why You Will Love Working at Hatch!
- We are certified as A Great Place to Work! 97% of our employees have reported that Hatch is a great place to work.
- We have an amazing leadership team led by a second time, female founder, who truly values our employees and lives the company values each and every day.
- You have an opportunity to make a large impact in people’s lives with something everyone craves: a good night’s sleep!
- Our team is high empathy, high performance - you’ll do career-defining work with great humans around you and supporting you.
- We are backed by world class investors including True Ventures and have excellent revenue growth.
- We let you take care of the things that matter in your life outside of work by offering a flexible/remote work environment.
We also take care of you through our comprehensive compensation package and many other perks and benefits including:
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision for employees and 80% coverage for dependents
- Meaningful equity
- 401(k) match with no vesting schedule
- 16 weeks paid parental leave for those important moments in life
- 12 free therapy sessions on Samata Health's platform
- Financial Support for Family Planning
- Remote office allowance
- Monthly Internet reimbursement allowance
- Friends and Family discount on our products
- Discount program from popular brands in travel, entertainment and retail
- Many other spontaneous perks
Designed by experts and loved by parents, our Rest family includes Rest, Rest+, Rest Mini, and Rest (2nd Gen)—all-in-one sleep products designed for babies and kids that can be controlled remotely. Hatch Restore is a fully-customizable product geared toward helping adults sleep well. As an all-in-one sleep assistant, Restore helps people personalize their perfect night of slumber. Launched in 2014 by parent entrepreneurs Ann Crady Weiss and Dave Weiss, and featured on “Shark Tank” in 2016, Hatch is headquartered in Menlo Park, California.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.