Hatch designs products to guide you as you find your way to rest. We've helped over 3 million sleepers, from ages 0 to 99, make space for rest in their busy lives. We’re building seamless ways to help people wind down, rest deeply and rise rested, because at the end of the day, sleep is the kindest form of self-care.
We are looking for an experienced backend engineer to help with developing, operating, and maintaining our backend systems. Our systems are a complex mixture of Java-based servers, AWS IoT and Lambda interacting with our mobile apps and fleet of IoT-enabled devices. Your job will involve some development of our backend systems, as well as debugging of problems both in the Sprint and in production, as well as monitoring, alerting, and DevOps in general.
Releasing new firmware is always a nerve-wracking activity for companies that have devices in the field. One of your projects will be to develop, working with our QA and firmware teams, a powerful automated firmware testing harness that we can use to validate new firmware builds. Bonus points for integrating with the firmware build systems, and actual hardware! We have an Amazon Alexa skill, and a possible Google Home integration project, that need some horsepower. Also, we have a lot of hobbyists that have reverse-engineered our APIs and we could support them better. Once you demonstrate a master of our systems, you will have a lot of discretion to build any of these, or something that you come up with yourself.
What You’ll Do:
Within 1 Month:
- Be able to create new JSON APIs in support of product functionality.
- Begin helping to troubleshoot production (customer-facing) and Sprint bugs.
- Learn and understand our architecture and the various systems.
Within 3 Months:
- Begin work on an automated system for testing firmware releases. This will involve interacting with AWS IoT, multiple device platforms, and eventually maybe even integrate directly with the hardware itself.
- Become proficient in all aspects of our backend systems and capabilities.
- Propose your own projects for improvement of our systems!
Long Term Possible Projects:
- Possibly start on a Google Home integration for our products.
- Create a set of APIs and documentation to support hobbyists who script against our systems. Contribute to the open-source projects they are using to fix annoying bugs! Create tools or dashboards for them to understand their usage.
- Begin work on an automated system for testing firmware releases. This will involve interacting with AWS IoT, multiple device platforms, and eventually maybe even integrate
What You’ll Bring:
- Deep understanding of modern Java (11+).
- Experience working with a Spring Boot/Hibernate web application.
- Experience building and testing back-end JSON APIs.
- A strong sense of (informal) cost/benefit analysis, and knowing when to do or not do something, and to what degree.
- A desire and ability to move beyond building simple JSON APIs to understand and improve the entire backend ecosystem. Instead of "I don't know how that works" it's "Let me go figure that out too."
- A desire for elegance and simplicity. Your code should be so powerful, and so simple, that you have little work to do.
- A passion for the production environment: DevOps, monitoring, build and deployment systems.
- Scripting experience, especially Groovy and/or Python.
It Would Be Nice If You Have:
- Experience with, or a desire to learn:
- Ansible for DevOps
- Jenkins for orchestrating builds
- ELK for logs
- Graphite for real-time graphing
- AWS IoT
- Amazon Alexa skills
- Google Home integration
Why You Will Love Working at Hatch!
- We are certified as A Great Place to Work! 96% of our employees have reported that Hatch is a great place to work.
- We have an amazing leadership team that truly values its employees and lives our company values each and every day.
- We delight our customers with something everyone needs: a good night’s sleep!
- Our team is collaborative, fun, and brilliant!
- You have an opportunity to make a large impact in people’s lives
- We are backed by world class investors including True Ventures and have strong revenue growth.
- We let you take care of what you need by offering a flexible/remote work environment
We also take care of you through our comprehensive compensation package and many other perks and benefits including:
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision for employees and 80% coverage for dependents
- Meaningful equity
- 401(k) match with no vesting schedule
- 16 weeks paid parental leave for those important moments in life
- 12 free therapy sessions on Samata Health's platform
- Financial Support for Family Planning
- Remote office allowance
- Monthly Internet reimbursement allowance
- Friends and Family discount on our products
- Discount program from popular brands in travel, entertainment and retail
- Many other spontaneous perks
Designed by experts and loved by parents, our Rest family includes Rest, Rest+, Rest Mini, and Rest (2nd Gen)—all-in-one sleep products designed for babies and kids that can be controlled remotely. Hatch Restore is a fully-customizable product geared toward helping adults sleep well. As an all-in-one sleep assistant, Restore helps people personalize their perfect night of slumber. Launched in 2014 by parent entrepreneurs Ann Crady Weiss and Dave Weiss, and featured on “Shark Tank” in 2016, Hatch is headquartered in Menlo Park, California.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.