Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with a specific goal: disrupt the shaving industry by creating an innovative, everyday product at a fair price. Since then, Harry’s has expanded to Canada and Europe, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, launched two new brands including Flamingo and Cat Person, and made our first brand acquisition with Lumē.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, the Harry’s team is composed of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 5 or 500, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback.
Harry’s is operating as a hybrid-first environment - for us, that means that we ask folks to come into our office a minimum of 2 days per week, with flexibility to choose exactly which days work best for you.
Harry’s Labs is responsible for growing the Harry’s, Inc. brand portfolio by making Harry’s home to the next set of iconic brands within the Consumer Packaged Goods industry. Leveraging the diverse talents of the Labs team, Harry’s Labs identifies the most compelling new CPG brands in the market today and gives their passionate leaders a unique opportunity to grow their businesses with the support of the best of Harry’s, Inc. brand and creative expertise, omnichannel know-how, entrepreneurial talent and key systems and processes.
About the Role
As the VP and Head of Harry’s Labs you will develop the Harry’s Labs strategy, manage the Harry’s Labs team and ultimately support the growth of the Harry’s, Inc. portfolio of brands. In your role, you will continuously evolve the Company’s unique M&A strategy and will be responsible for overseeing the sourcing, evaluation and execution of transformative M&A transactions. You will serve as the internal and external face of Harry’s Labs, building awareness and enthusiasm for the unique Harry’s, Inc. M&A proposition among the founder and investors community, and galvanizing internal stakeholders around mission aligned, value accretive M&A opportunities
Over time, Harry's Labs has engaged in not just control M&A but also built and launched new brands and made non control investments. While your primary focus in the near term will be control M&A transactions,, you will ultimately be responsible for building the strategy and executing again Harry’s Inc. growth across all of these dimensions. Working closely with the co-founder and CEO of Harry’s, Inc. and your team, you will play a key role in establishing Harry’s, Inc. as the home of choice within the high growth CPG landscape and making the Harry’s, Inc. vision a reality.
- Lead and continuously evolve Harry’s Labs strategy, approach and operating processes
- Manage a cross functional team capable of sourcing ideas and companies, evaluating brand strength & differentiation, assessing consumer needs & resonance, determining market potential and TAM, building complex financial models, performing valuation analysis and structuring complex transactions
- Own investment decision making, thoughtfully synthesizing large amounts of data and diverse perspectives into a clear, well articulated perspective on key investment risks and rewards, alignment with Harry’s Labs M&A strategy and ultimately, a go/no recommendation at each phase of M&A diligence
- Independently build the Harry’s Labs M&A target company pipeline by effectively networking with the founder and investor community within Consumer Packaged Goods alongside other innovative communities
- Oversee diligence process including: deep consumer and market research, evaluation of strength of brand positioning, detailed financial models and underwriting plans, company valuation/deal structure and development of clear, compelling investment presentations
- Serve as the internal and external face of Harry’s Labs, inspiring both internal and external stakeholders to support Labs diligence efforts and ultimately, investment decisions
- Lead effective negotiations with target company founders and investors to create compelling offers for target businesses that are also value accretive for Harry’s, Inc.
- Report to Harry’, Inc. co founder and. CEO, working collaboratively with him to define the strategy and approach for diversifying the brand portfolio of Harry’s, Inc.
The following should describe you
- 12+ years of professional experience including 5+ years in consumer focused Growth Equity, Private Equity, Corporate Development/M&A or investment banking
- Well-rounded investor with deep experience across:
- Sourcing: strong existing network and experience building relationships with founders, company executives, financial intermediaries in the consumer space
- Due diligence: able to adeptly identify key diligence questions, and lead diligence processes in partnership with internal and external parties including consumer & brand market research, omnichannel business model assessment and financial modeling
- Deal negotiation: experience developing and managing complex investment structures and cap tables
- Deal closing: effective partner to drive and own, where appropriate, legal diligence, legal documentation, funds flows, accounting/financing due diligence and other confirmatory diligence
- Post investment engagement: experience advising or closely working across multiple businesses and brands in the consumer sector, most likely via board or board observer roles
- Exceptional leader with proven ability to manage dynamic and talented teams in highly fluid environments
- Significant experience in intensive diligence processes (ideally in the consumer space), including market and consumer research, brand positioning and development, and deal structuring
- Deep existing personnel network in high growth consumer sector, e.g., founders, executives, intermediaries, investors, etc.
- Proven ability to partner closely with entrepreneurs to understand their vision, structure transactions to meet their needs and support them in growing their businesses
- Able to think strategically and creatively while applying sound business judgment and qualitative and quantitative analysis to complex problems
- A self-starter who can build and evolve process, works effectively with cross-functional teams and thrives in a fast paced setting that is constantly evolving
- Capably handle ambiguity and can extrapolate and synthesize your way to insightful recommendations even when data is far from perfect
- Strong interpersonal skills: Confident, poised, articulate, clear in communication. Would be comfortable presenting to a senior audience and facilitating complex discussions.
- Humble. Low ego. Always putting others and Harry’s first.
- Centered and methodical. A steady hand in turbulent or uncertain situations.
- You take your work seriously but don’t take yourself too seriously.
Benefits and perks
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401k match
- Equity in Harry’s
- Unlimited PTO and flexible working hours
- Wellness and L&D stipends
- One month sabbatical after 5 years
- 16 weeks parental leave
- Fun IRL and virtual events including happy hours, team building events, and parties on our rooftop
- Free products from all of our brands
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, team and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.
We can’t quantify all of the intangible things we think you’ll love about working at Harry’s, like the exciting challenges we tackle, the smart and humble team you’ll get to work with, and our supportive and inclusive culture. That said, our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of our total rewards package, which also includes a comprehensive set of benefits and our compelling incentive programs. The base salary hiring range for this position is $275,000-$350,000, but the final compensation offer will ultimately be based on the candidate’s location, skill level and experience and will include our incentive programs, including equity.