About Cat Person:
Cat Person is a new brand committed to strengthening the relationship between cats and cat persons by delivering cat care essentials - including food, treats and products - that are specially made for the unique needs of cats, and thoughtfully designed for their people.
By putting modern feline lovers at the center of their research, design, and marketing processes, Cat Person is prioritizing the unmet needs of this fragmented, $75 billion pet market and flipping the script on the stereotype about cat owners. The company was founded in March 2020 with support and initial investment by Harry’s, and built by a founding team that has decades of experience launching, growing and scaling transformational brands and businesses across large CPG and direct-to-consumer/e-commerce industries.
Head of Communications & Creative
As the Head of Communications & Creative, you will be a part of the core team responsible for building a new disruptor brand shaking up the $75B pet industry by bringing respect, love and innovation to a long overlooked and underserved category: cat care. Launched in March 2020, Cat Person offers a line of essentials to help cat parents better care for their cats, including food, treats, furniture and toys. A design-forward brand, we consider both the cat’s and the cat person’s needs in everything we make and do. We aren’t just here to revolutionize cat care for the millions of cat parents in the US; we’re here to redefine what it means to be a cat person in culture today.
The Head of Communications & Creative will be the ultimate developer and custodian of our brand out in the world. You’ll be responsible for setting vision and direction for the brand and for building and leading the Cat Person creative & communications team. In a hyper-competitive category, we aspire to create breakthrough work that provokes a new way of how people think about the bond between cat and cat people.
We’re seeking a leader that can get emotionally invested in building a brand that moves the industry forward, speaking in a real way to today’s cat person.
Over the last two years we have started to lay the groundwork for what this brand is and where it can go. Now we seek someone who is excited to build our next stage of growth with us. Someone with ambitions to build a brand that is both fresh and substantive and drive innovative content across channels.
You will lead the development of breakthrough brand narratives that introduce us to the world and create a deep relationship with our consumer, bringing these stories to life through advertising, digital and physical touchpoints, while delivering on project goals and KPI’s.
As part of the senior team, you will be a key leader in helping to establish our creative culture, building, leading and inspiring A+ talent, and guiding our team in creating amazing work. You will work closely with leaders across R&D, Operations, Digital, and Retail fostering a collaborative work environment and shared sense of building.
What you will accomplish:
- Scale brand aesthetic and voice
- Take current brand positioning and identity work and develop visual aesthetic and brand voice that resonates with our consumer
- Create medium specific guidelines, ensuring consistent application of the brand internally and externally
- Breakthrough storytelling & campaign development:
- Create break-through narratives that deliver outsized share of voice, ignites a conversation with our target consumer, drives awareness & interest in our brand, and positions us as a fresh and craveable brand with a distinct point of view.
- Activate our community with the development of ideas that fuel and ignite their passion for Cat Person
- Build a creative function that scales with our business
- Guide us on the optimal process for creative development
- Foster a fast-paced creative environment that allows us to take risks and test & learn
- Establish strong, collaborative working relationship with the rest of the organization ( R&D, Retail, Digital)
- Build, lead and develop A+ creative, comms and creative team to support brand development (copywriter, graphic design, social/influencer, PR)
This should describe you:
Best in class design & storytelling skills
- You keep the customer front and center
- You are passionate about developing with a cat-first perspective
- You have impeccable taste and ability to get the best work from partners - a portfolio of exceptional brand and advertising output with examples where you have pushed creative boundaries and where you have explored new territories
- Ability to see beyond the obvious and push forward thinking ideas that generate buzz and excitement
- You are dialed into what’s cool, new, and relevant and how to translate that to our customer
- Feels ownership over their work, the brand and what they are building, which translates to those they work with
- Strong coach and mentor, someone people want to work and learn from
- Ability to hire and build an A+ team. Experience managing direct reports.
- Strong track record managing external agencies
Open, Collaborative Partner
- Embraces an ‘all in all together’ approach - always searching for the best ways to deliver great work, regardless of who may own the idea
- Thrives in a collaborative environment and able to work with creative and non-creative partners
Entrepreneurial and thoughtful builder
- A passion for building; someone who is drawn to the idea of building a nascent brand
- 100% game to get their hands dirty and hustle to build something (no task to small mentality)
- Able to thrive in fast-paced environments where you can move fast and adapt quickly
- Thinks about what will be successful commercially in addition to artistically and is respectful of project goals & KPIs
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- 8+ years brand marketing experience
- Creative team management experience
- Strong, proven leadership skills and highly developed interpersonal skills to lead and manage a team
- Strong communication skills along with the ability to think creatively and strategically
- Great taste and design chops
- Experience working in a DTC first business with a focus and respect for creative needs for Growth efforts
- Experience managing and leading teams in a fast paced and cross-functional focused environment with shifting priorities, demands and timelines
- Experience managing model and product photo shoots
- A real interest and understanding of the consumer we want to speak to
Benefits and perks
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401k match
- Equity in Harry’s
- Unlimited PTO and flexible working hours
- Wellness and L&D stipends
- One month sabbatical after 5 years
- 16 weeks parental leave
- Fun IRL and virtual events including happy hours, team building events, and parties on our rooftop
- Free products from all of our brands
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.
This role can be done remotely, however there may be location constraints based on where Harry's is registered and able to employ individuals. Please work with your recruiter and your hiring manager to understand any location constraints. We are authorized and able to employ individuals in many, but not all states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where we are registered or able to employ individuals, you will not be eligible for employment. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more.
We can’t quantify all of the intangible things we think you’ll love about working at Harry’s, like the exciting challenges we tackle, the smart and humble team you’ll get to work with, and our supportive and inclusive culture. That said, our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of our total rewards package, which also includes a comprehensive set of benefits and our equity program. The base salary hiring range for this position is $158,400-$225,000, but the final compensation offer will ultimately be based on the candidate’s location, skill level and experience.