Hi, we’re Headquarters. Some people might call us “root-obsessed,” and they’re right—because we know that a great head of hair starts with healthy roots. Headquarters is a best-in-class haircare brand that grew out of the needs of real women, a ton of research, and a lot of love.
Launched in January 2021, we’re the newest brand developed by Harry’s Inc. and we’re here to prove that there’s a better way for people to engage with their own hair health, one day at a time.
Our growing team includes some of the best minds (and heads of hair) in R&D, consumer insights, customer experience, marketing, and beyond. We know that hair isn’t everything… but it’s still a big deal in our book. It’s a source of comfort with the potential to totally reinvent how we see ourselves.
Our brand and products have been covered by Fortune, Glossy, AdWeek, Buzzfeed, Byrdie, and more. Headquarters also supports our communities by donating 1% of our sales to local grassroots organizations that benefit women and their mental health. Together, we’re reimagining how we care for our hair to help everyone have more good (hair) days.
About the Role
As the Brand Marketing & Comms Manager, you will be a part of the core team responsible for shaping and growing the Headquarters brand in its infancy. This role will own organic brand channels (PR, Social, Influencer, Partnerships, Word-of-Mouth) and build go-to-market strategies for products, launches, partnerships/collabs, and key moments for the brand. You will champion brand storytelling—thinking strategically about the narratives we want to tell, how and when they creatively come to life, and finally, seeing them through to fruition. You’ll be a strong cross-functional partner to the team, shepherding initiatives from idea to execution with enthusiasm, and representing what’s best for Headquarters in all forums.
What you will accomplish:
Working alongside the Head of Creative & Communication and partnering cross-functionally, you will lead the overall brand marketing and communication rollout across PR, Influencer, Organic Social, Partnerships, Events/Activations.
Public Relations & Communications:
- Manage the day-to-day of PR, in partnership with the PR agency. This includes identifying newsworthy stories and angles; developing pitches, press materials, and releases; fielding interview and quote requests; seeding and tracking product requests; developing press programs and positive media relationships; and managing company, beauty & trade awards submissions.
- Leverage traditional and unexpected tactics to build brand awareness, buzz, and interest amongst media, influencers/celebrities, and consumers alike.
- Create effective thought leadership platforms for key leaders; and roll out through high-profile speaking engagements, interviews, panels, op-eds, and original owned content/social.
- Oversee internal communications, including tracking and sharing of press coverage; and serving as the liaison between Headquarters and the Harry’s Inc, brands to ensure continuity and coordination on communication initiatives.
- Act as marketing and communications lead for Social Impact - our 1% commitment to grassroots mental health.
- Aid in the development of annual brand plans and budgets that thoughtfully address our brand goals and growth forecasts by leveraging organic and paid brand channels.
- Research, develop and champion new marketing strategies for brand awareness, new product launches, and always-on brand building.
- Facilitate ideation sessions to constantly refresh and energize the brand.
- Recommend owned and earned strategies to drive growth and reach internal KPIs
- Craft clear creative briefs for our internal creative team that communicate clear territories and concepts that drive compelling creative across channels while best serving our business, brand, and customer experience goals
- Bring the Headquarters narrative to life by developing comprehensive communication strategies and creating key messages and materials to be amplified through paid and earned media.
- Manage end-to-end execution of brand campaigns—liaising with Strategy, Retail, Performance Marketing, CX, and Operations teams, to ensure the campaign is delivered effectively and serves our brand.
- Identify, pitch, and execute strategic brand partnerships & collaborations that marry back to business objectives and brand positioning goals
- Lead the execution of events/activations/stunts and other upper funnel media
- Define measurable goals and establish systems for monitoring and measuring marketing effectiveness, for each campaign; document and communicate results and learnings to ensure they are applied to future campaigns.
- Develop and deliver marketing presentations for retail partners and Inc level meetings
- Be an advocate for Headquarters; make sure messaging and initiative are aligned with brand identity and push prioritization of goals
Influencer, Content & Social Media:
- Manage and collaborate with our Sr. Social Media & Community Associate on the development of brand content, influencer program management, and social media.
- Bridge the connection between all channels—developing top-down social media strategies that are tied to our product launches, campaigns, and major brand moments.
- Spearhead social media growth initiatives on Instagram, TikTok, and other future platforms that are relevant for the brand and consumer.
- Oversee the management of our influencer program, in close partnership with the Sr. Social Media & Community Associate and our Influencer agency—ensuring that the ‘who’, ‘what’, ‘when’, and ‘where’ of the program ladder up to broader brand narratives and goals.
- Concept and execute celebrity, influencer, and media events.
This should describe you:
Best-in-class creative marketer
- You think outside the box, developing big creative ideas grounded in the business needs and consumer insights.
- You aren’t afraid to take risks and think big. You know how to get media, influencers, and consumers authentically talking about your brands.
- Thoughtfully and effectively approach projects to ensure you are maximizing your time, assets/resources, and budget.
- You are a natural-born storyteller! You are curious, ask questions, and could craft a compelling page-turner out of a grain of rice.
- Creative and brimming with your own ideas, while also able to help others structure thinking to prioritize theirs.
- Always looking for opportunities to improve product & brand communication at every touchpoint to better resonate with our target consumers.
- You are passionate about developing with a diverse, female-first perspective with an interest in women’s wellness and the beauty landscape.
- You immerse yourself in customer insights and actively develop a strong understanding of who she is—using these, in turn, to inform your strategies and tactical approaches
- Nothing gets past you! You maintain a finger on the pulse culturally to inform your perspective on what’s relevant, new, and coming up.
Self-motivated & collaborative partner
- You are resourceful, take initiative, and are comfortable in a fast-paced startup environment. Working under tight deadlines while juggling several projects and adapting to change comes naturally to you
- You have experience managing multi-channel campaigns in concert with a variety of cross-functional teams like Strategy, Performance Marketing, Creative, Retail, CX, Digital Product, etc. You have an eye for process and organization—setting up systems to improve the way the team works.
- Comfortable receiving and providing feedback! When presenting work to internal and external stakeholders, you are able to address questions, concerns, and critique in a clear, confident way and be able to pivot quickly based on feedback
Here's who they will work with:
- Reporting to Head of Creative & Communications
- Direct reports:
- Senior Social & Community Associate
- Brand Comms Coordinator (future hire)
- External agencies: PR agency partner & Influencer agency partner
- Role sits within the Creative & Comms Team with a very close day-to-day partnership with the Director of Strategy & Innovation, CX, Performance Marketing, Legal, and R&D.
25% = PR: agency management, press
25% = Brand Marketing: campaigns, partnerships, retailer pitches, activations
25% = Influencer: agency management, overseeing creative briefs & strategies
15% = Social Media: strategy, content plans
5% = Social Impact: overall narrative, comms around partner selection
5% = Internal Comms: sharing coverage; internal share outs
- An experienced marketer with a proven track record of building engaging, effective campaigns—6-8 years of experience, preferably in a high growth ecomm environment
- Proven track record of executing the full PR and brand marketing mix with a deep understanding of successfully developing paid/owned/earned media strategies to effectively engage with different audiences
- Strong experience in brand media and proven willingness to challenge the status quo on media and campaign approaches
- A natural communicator with strong writing skills; you’re able to sell people into a vision and bring them along on your thought process and strategy
- Must have strong organizational and cross-functional project management skills
- Past experience as a strong people manager
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.