About the Team
The R&D Packaging Engineering Team is responsible for the development and engineering of all aspects of packaging from concept to mass production. The team supports all packaging types including custom and stock packaging (bottles, caps, pumps, jars) and secondary packaging (folding cartons, gift sets) for all products within the Harry’s Inc. brand portfolio. As we continue to expand into new categories, the R&D Packaging team will be an instrumental driver of innovation and brand success.
About the Role:
Consumer packaging is everywhere and in many cases it’s unavoidable. Packaging can be disappointing, frustrating, wasteful or unremarkable at best. Conversely, it can drive impulse purchase, consumer loyalty/satisfaction, deep brand recognition, and be mindful of its purpose without being excessive or insufficient. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about creating overwhelmingly positive experiences for our consumers.
What you will accomplish:
- Bring your passion and enthusiasm for package engineering to work every day
- Research packaging sustainability/innovation/trends and develop packaging components that support new product introductions, promotions and operational initiatives.
- Recommend and own packaging workstreams required to qualify packaging components, tooling, equipment and processes.
- Manage all levels of packaging, from primary through tertiary.
- Fully own technical milestones in project timelines.
- Select stock packaging or manage new tooling development and validation for custom package component designs.
- Utilize engineering resources to iterate on packaging component designs to create and test ideas quickly.
- Participate in and drive packaging engineering design reviews and qualification results.
- Own packaging trials and package test plans. Troubleshoot packaging-related technical issues during development; develop risk mitigation plans and packaging alternatives.
- Work with the Design team and suppliers to develop color standards and establish production color and defect ranges.
- Bring printing and decorating experience to the process of graphics design, decoration testing, and artwork approval.
- Issue and maintain packaging component specifications, finished goods specifications, and assembly instructions, for production accuracy and scalable success.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with suppliers, contract manufacturers and internal cross functional partners.
- Seek new packaging innovation/trends.
This should describe you:
- Not a Remote position; NYC-area preferred, occasional office (2-3x week)
- BS in Package Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, other related disciplines, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of experience in the design, testing, and development of new packaging using a range of manufacturing processes and materials, potentially with emphasis on plastic/elastomer injection molded and blow molded parts.
- Ability to travel to off site labs, contract manufacturers and suppliers up to 30%.
- Having knowledge of a variety of material properties and packaging components such as aerosols, pumps, closures, bottles, tubes, pumps, aerosols, flexible films and laminations.
- You have a good eye for design and aesthetics, plus experience with decorating techniques and materials used on primary, secondary or tertiary packaging.
- Honest, direct, and ability to articulate and defend technical packaging decisions as well as communicate clearly with cross functional teams.
- Experience analyzing technical drawings and critical dimensions of assemblies.
- Experience in development of 3D CAD models and 2D engineering drawings a plus
- Extremely organized, dependable and self-motivated with the ability to excel in a hands-on, fast paced environment.
- Life-long learner: You love learning new things and are not afraid to admit when you don’t know an answer.
- Experience with sample/prototype creation a plus (i.e. paper cutting table or 3D prints)
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the Manager of Packaging
- Working in the R&D Team with Program Management, Product Development, Product Design Engineering, and Research
- You will work cross functionally with many teams including Operations, Design, Quality, Retail and Brand Marketing.
- Externally, you will work with packaging component suppliers, printing and decorating suppliers, and contract manufacturing and filling sites.
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.