About the role
We are looking for a Creative Director who will be the ultimate custodian and developer of our brand out in the world. We aspire to do truly breakthrough work that provokes a conversation that enables our brand to stand for something bigger than body hair and care.
As part of the core Flamingo leadership team you will help steward and build upon our creative and design culture, building, leading and inspiring A+ talent, and guiding external partners in creating amazing work. You will work closely with leaders across Design, Marketing, Ecomm and Retail fostering a collaborative work environment and shared sense of building.
Lastly, we need to complement all that passion and vision with commercial understanding, we seek a CD who understands this is a business and it’s not about creative for creative's sake but creative that will address a real consumer and a business need (& sure, win awards in the process). Someone who will get jazzed about the big and the small aspects of what bring a brand to life.
What you will accomplish
- Steward & evolve brand aesthetic and voice
- Continue to evolve and push our visual identity and brand voice that resonates with our target audience and feels ownable / distinct from the competition.
- Own brand guidelines and ownable tone of voice, ensuring consistent application of the brand internally and externally
- Lead the packaging graphic strategy to create a cohesive look and feel across touchpoints
- Develop compelling direct-response messaging & user journeys that connect with our consumer across channels (digital, retail, social)
- Collaborate with the DTC team to develop compelling hooks into our brand and products across paid channels
- Own always on concepting, ideation, iteration and execution
- Build a consistent, effective, and compelling user journey across channels (retail, digital, social)
- Bring a natural curiosity to the omni-channel world and encourage your team to always be exploring and bringing ideas to the table (new channels, new devices, ideas from other categories)
- Lead breakthrough storytelling & campaign development
- Help cement and bring to life Flamingo’s ownable difference in body hair, body care and in culture in a way that separates us from the competition
- Create break-through narratives across owned, earned, retail and paid channels that deliver against key performance metrics and ignite a conversation with our target consumer, drives awareness & interest in our brand, positioning us as a brand with a distinct point of view
- Lead the development of these campaigns from ideas to execution working both internally and with agency partners to bring them to life
- Continuously bring culturally-relevant ideas and inspiration to connect our brand to today’s consumer
- Drive brand meaning through creative expression of things like social impact initiatives, magnifying customer narratives, brand collaborations
- Finding opportunity for the brand to have voice in culture
- Actively pull from a diverse set of voices for inspiration and ideation.
- Lead the packaging design work
- Recommend packaging design architectures that best express the brand and the innovation strategy while standing out across our channels
- Create disruptive designs that convey the brand values- Identify where we need to have simple executions and where we need disruption to stand out
- Recommend strategy to use our packaging design at retail as a communication vehicle to drive awareness of the brand and recruit new customers
- Develop, coach and scale an A+ creative team that scales with our business
- Guide us on the optimal process for creative development
- Establish strong, collaborative working relationships to deliver common business metrics with key commercial functions (Marketing, DTC,. product, insights, comms), and collaborate across functions (Retail, Engineering, R&D, social mission, etc) to inspire them behind a common creative vision.
- Build, lead and develop A+ creative capabilities to support brand development (copy, graphic design, packaging, digital design, UX, production)
- Own the budget and resourcing process for the Flamingo Creative Function
An experienced creative leader with a proven track record of building and cultivating amazing brands out in the world
- 10+ years of experience, preferably in a high growth, brand-forward ecomm environment
- Direct experience with graphic design, art direction, digital design, packaging
Best in class design, storytelling skills and brand expression
- You keep the customer front and center in your design
- You are passionate about developing a disrupter body care brand
- You have impeccable taste and strong visual aesthetics - A portfolio of exceptional self-created design output with examples where you have pushed creative boundaries and where you have explored new territories.
- Ability to see beyond the obvious and push forward thinking ideas
- You are dialed into what’s cool, new, and relevant and how to translate that to the customer.
- You bring the point of view of brands to life in compelling and breakthrough ways
- Feels ownership over their work, the brand and what they are building, which translates to those they work with
- Strong coach and mentor, Someone people want to work and learn from.
- Experience building, leading, and managing a creative team of direct reports, with a strong track record managing external agencies
Open, Collaborative Partner, Entrepreneurial
- No pride of ownership and always searching for the best answer - objective and open to change.
- Thrives in a collaborative environment and able to work with creative and non-creative partners
- Move quickly and feel comfortable having autonomy to lead projects, and managing multiple projects at once.
- A passion for building; someone who is drawn to the idea of creating a brand from scratch
- 100% game to get their hands dirty and hustle to build something (no task to small mentality)
- Able to thrive in fast-past environments where you can move fast and adapt quickly.
- Thinks about what will be successful commercially in addition to artistically and is respectful of project goals & KPIs
With well-designed products and honest conversations at its core, Flamingo launched in 2018 with a suite of products for body hair. Since then, we have expanded our assortment to be the first brand that offers products for every routine: razors, wax strips for face and body, shave gel, body lotion, and Mons Mist. In February 2019, Flamingo launched at Target stores nationwide, immediately jumping to the top of the bestseller list for razors, wax strips, and shave gel. Our products and campaigns have been covered by outlets like Vogue, Vanity Fair, Elle, and InStyle, and we’ve won major beauty accolades like Allure’s Best in Beauty and Self’s Healthy Beauty awards.
We’re committed to building healthy, positive relationships with our bodies and de-stigmatizing the conversation around women's health. Since launch, we have set aside 1% of all sales to support partners whose missions we believe in deeply, including Exhale to Inhale and PERIOD.
Flamingo is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.