What is Cat Person?
Cat Person is a new DTC (direct-to-consumer) brand shaking up the $75B pet industry by bringing respect, love and innovation to a long overlooked and underserved category: cat care. We started Cat Person because we saw a real need: thoughtfully designed food and goods made just for cats and the people who love them.
Launched in March 2020, and born out of Harry’s Labs, the innovation arm of Harry's Inc., Cat Person offers a line of essentials to help cat parents better care for their cats, including food, treats, furniture and toys. A design-forward brand, we consider both the cat’s and the cat person’s needs in everything we make and do. It’s all part of our mission: to make life with cats even more awesome than it already is.
Though small, our vision is grand. We aren’t just here to revolutionize cat care for the millions of cat parents in the US; we’re redefining what it means to be a cat person in culture today. Every role at Cat Person plays a part in redefining cat persons for the modern era.
About the Role
Cat Person’s copywriter will be the voice of our brand as we formalize the identity we’ve been building. This is a unique opportunity to be in-house and a part of building a consumer brand from the ground up. The copywriter is responsible for engaging with consumers across all modes of communication through clear, compelling, effective, yet light-hearted and witty copy. They will collaborate with an internal and external creative team on projects, brand campaigns and all of the daily work that brings Cat Person to life such as email and landing page copy. The goal of this role is to use language and content that creates a unique voice for the brand, drives high engagement with consumers and continuously deepens the brand’s relationship with them over time.
Who you are:
You have a high creative bar. You write 50 headlines to get one truly great one. You also have a big appetite to learn how to build a successful brand and embrace the humility that comes with that. You have an incredibly strong command over written and verbal language skills with a proven ability to inspire an audience through writing long and short form content. You can take existing brand guidelines and transform them into a consistent voice across all communication channels. You have experience building voice guidelines and other modes of internal communication. You are jazzed to join a one-year-old brand and can thrive in a fast-paced environment ripe with ambiguity. Creative opportunities aren’t always handed to you; you sniff them out like a pig hunting truffles. You are deeply connected with culture, know how to create a unique brand voice that resonates, yet aren’t afraid of data and feedback as inspirations for new and better thinking. You are a strategic and conceptual thinker and can help evolve the brand messaging and communication style over time to maximize effectiveness. At the same time, you’re a hands-on writer, a jack/jill-of-all-trades who’s comfortable writing anything from website copy to packaging directions, direct response ads to blog articles. You know that every touchpoint leaves a brand impression and are always looking for an opportunity to elicit a smile through your work, even if you’re writing cat food feeding instructions. You are not an a-hole.
What you will accomplish:
- Translate existing brand guidelines into a unique and compelling voice that elicits a deep consumer connection to Cat Person.
- Write copy for all things Cat Person - emails, social media, web content, performance marketing ads, landing pages, packaging, blogs, brand campaigns and everything in-between.
- Collaborate on projects with internal and external marketing and creative teams.
- Be a writing resource for team members through editing, feedback, and guideline development to ensure consistency of Cat Person’s voice.
- Continually optimize copy through test learnings and feedback.
- Brainstorm new ways for Cat Person to communicate with consumers to develop strong relationships after Day 1.
- Develop share-worthy social content that goes beyond cute cat pics to establish the brand as a thought leader in the category and beyond.
- Concept and execute PR-worthy social and brand campaign ideas that work with a start up budget.
- 2-4 years of professional, creative copywriting experience (ad agency or brand-side)
- Experience working on multiple types of content, with a well-curated portfolio
- Experience working with tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Attended portfolio school or post grad program
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to drive action among audiences through copywriting
- Highly collaborative, and ability to work well in a cross-functional team developing cohesive content
- As all great copywriting is full of insights, it helps to have (or have had) a cat.
Here's who you’ll will work with:
You’ll work with someone from every department at some point.
- Reporting to the Creative Director (Head of Creative)
- Creative Project Manager
- Director of Brand Marketing
- Digital and Product Development teams
- Customer Experience teams
- External Agencies, Contractors & Freelancers
About Cat Person
Cat Person is a new brand committed to strengthening the relationship between cats and cat persons by delivering cat care essentials - including food, treats and products - that are specially made for the unique needs of cats, and thoughtfully designed for their people. By putting modern feline lovers at the center of their research, design, and marketing processes, Cat Person is prioritizing the unmet needs of this fragmented, $75 billion pet market and flipping the script on the stereotype about cat owners. The company was founded by a small team of passionate cat people and launched in March 2020. Today, it is part of the Harry's Inc. family of brands.
Cat Person and Harry’s Inc. are committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Cat Person is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Cat Person’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.