About the Role
As the Senior Associate of Consumer Insights on the Harry’s Labs team, you will work collaboratively with the Labs team to identify, evaluate and invest in exciting consumer, market and product opportunities. Our goal is to launch or acquire 2-3 highly disruptive CPG brands each year based on the ideas you will help identify and validate.
The specific mandate of the Senior Associate of Consumer Insights will vary from investment opportunity to investment opportunity. He/she will work collaboratively with the Senior Manager of Insights, Labs, to execute a consumer research plan to test key hypotheses at each stage of our due diligences. He/she will play a key role in the end-to-end execution and synthesis of consumer interviews, quantitative consumer surveys, market segmentations, concept/brand testing, etc.
We want someone who is excited about working across multiple product categories and leveraging both quantitative and qualitative data in creative ways to unearth consumer problems and develop innovative, consumer-centric brands that Harry’s can invest behind. This person should be able to both think highly strategically (able to take a wide view and connect dots across information sources) and execute highly tactically (driving down to the most minute details). And, most of all we want a great collaborator who can work effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders that make up the Labs team the external groups with which we work.
What you will accomplish:
- Work in partnership with the Senior Manager of Consumer Insights, Harry’s Labs, to execute both quantitative and qualitative research projects from end-to-end to infuse the consumer point-of-view into all of the Labs Team’s processes.
- In the diligence phase, this would include assessing the size and attractiveness of market segments, helping to prioritize consumer segments, and unearthing hard-to-decipher unmet consumer needs.
- Once an opportunity has been identified, the person will work on projects to help guide the development of new brand positioning and product/pricing decisions with insights that drive consumer-centric competitive advantage via efficacy, convenience, value, and/or accessibility.
- Specifically, this person will be:
- Programming and analyzing surveys
- Over time, helping with the initial design of surveys
- Preparing for and attending in-depth interviews, focus groups, and in-home ethnographies, and then synthesizing learnings following the research sessions
- Over time, helping with the initial design of the research and facilitating consumer conversations
- When applicable, helping to manage relationships with research vendors and translate vendor outputs to be most relevant for the Labs team
- Effectively communicating learnings to Labs teams and Harry’s leadership by distilling results into essential learnings and actionable recommendations that enable rapid decisions
- Along with the Senior Manager of Consumer Insights, serve as the voice of the consumer to the Labs team and Harry’s leadership as we assess investment opportunities and build new brands/businesses, ensuring our value propositions always improve the consumer experience and journey in the category
- Over time, collaborate with the Senior Manager of Consumer Insights, Harry’s Labs, to refine the team’s insights processes for diligence, target consumer identification, and brand development
This should describe you:
- A Bachelor’s degree
- 2-4 years of professional experience in consulting, consumer research, or marketing analytics.
- Experience in CPG, consumer retail, and/or brand innovation (whether as a consultant or working internally at a company) is a plus
- While past experience in consumer research is not required, you must demonstrate a strong desire and ability to understand what makes consumers tick and what techniques to use to uncover consumer insight
- Experience in analyzing quantitative data is a must. You should feel very comfortable operating in Excel
- Specific experience in analyzing survey data and/or syndicated consumer data is a plus
- Skilled data storyteller – You are comfortable weaving together disparate sources of information into a holistic story with strong recommendations based on market trends and consumer facts
- Lifelong Learner: Loves to learn, asks insightful questions, passionate about learning about new categories and new businesses in the CPG space.
- Empathic + strong consumer intuition -- you must be able to put yourself in the shoes of consumers, even if they are not similar to you, in order to identify motivations, pain points, and solutions that are unique to those consumers.
- Takes ownership in work; once trained on a type of project, can run with it with limited guidance and even make suggestions to improve the process in the future
- Curious, nearly to a fault – Your insatiable desire to get beyond surface level learning and uncover true insight is fueled by asking 2nd, 3rd and 4th order questions.
- Team Oriented: You are highly collaborative and able to quickly establish credibility within the team to impact decisions through both formal and informal influence.
- Resilient: Almost always displays resilience and unwavering focus, regardless of any hiccups, roadblocks or failures they might encounter.
- Scrappy: Ability to be creative with resources and roll up your sleeves to just get stuff done in order to maximize business impact.
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the Senior Manager of Consumer Insights, Harry’s Labs
- Advised closely by the VP, Harry’s Labs
- You will work on the Harry’s Labs team, a small team dedicated to identifying and launching leading next generation CPG brands
- You will also have opportunities to collaborate with the broader Insights team at Harry’s across our brands (Harry’s, Flamingo)
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
But our ambition doesn’t stop there. Our vision is to build the next generation consumer packaged good (CPG) company, investing in, building, and owning a portfolio of omnichannel modern brands across multiple categories within CPG. We plan to leverage our platform and capabilities, and partner with exceptional entrepreneurs and executives to fuel the launch and/or growth of new, disruptive CPG brands. We’ve established an organization called Harry’s Labs that will drive our investment strategy and decisions on these new opportunities. This is where you come in.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.