What is NewCo?
“NewCo” (short for “New Company”) is a new DTC (direct-to-consumer) start-up venture being incubated by Harry’s. Over the past year, Harry’s has vetted an exciting opportunity to create a new brand and business in an underserved CPG (consumer packaged goods) category. They are now gearing up to launch and looking to hire a team to build and run the business, revolutionize another category and improve the experience of millions of people.
About the Role
As the Accounting Manager for NewCo, you will be responsible for building and managing the day-to-day accounting operations. This will include ensuring the accuracy of G/L accounts, managing cash flows, making financial statements, and ensuring that processes and controls are in place to achieve a sound month-end close process. Overall, you will be making sure the accounting and reporting is solid an in compliance to help drive important business decisions. Additionally, through driving cross-functional initiatives, you will support the business financial and management reporting needs which will be essential to the growing company.
This is a unique opportunity to join a start-up at the earliest stages and help build a function and define critical processes. Since the team will be small initially, you must be comfortable rolling up your sleeves, creating and -- establishing processes where they don’t exist, and wearing multiple hats - from that of a bookkeeper all the way to a controller.
What you will accomplish:
- Record and maintain the NewCo ledgers and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with US GAAP
- Prepare and post journal entries, book accruals, prepare bank reconciliations and oversee expense reporting
- Perform month-end close and prepare monthly financial statements
- Oversee the production of dashboard metrics for key financial statement accounts
- Own the accuracy of key general ledger account reporting and substantiation as part of the month-end and quarter-end close processes
- Oversee sales tax reporting compliance
- Manage the annual and interim audit processes
- Set up systems, processes and procedures with cross functional stakeholders to ensure accuracy in reporting. This may include implementation of ERP platform.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and quarterly forecast
- Help manage cash burn and the cash disbursement process
- Produce monthly variance analyses between Budget/Forecast and Actual results
- Develop and ensure adherence to key processes and controls in support of GAAP financial statement assertions
- Institute a culture that balances process efficiency and data integrity including the leading of projects/initiatives where gaps exist today
- Help to build out the accounting team over time for this business, including recruiting, managing and developing a team of direct reports
- Accounting degree with a CPA
- 4+ years of experience with a mixture of public accounting (Big 4) and industry experience (retail, wholesale or e-commerce, preferably in a start-up private company)
- Extensive knowledge of GAAP technical reporting requirements
- ERP experience is a must, with SAP experience a plus
- Highly skilled in Excel
- Experience working in an environment where processes and controls may not exist and require your expertise
- Thrive on new and changing accounting adventures, and figuring out creative ways to track data and solve for them
- Experience and comfort working in a collaborative environment as opposed to silos
- Great communicator, able to simplify complex financial terms to non-financial audience
- Low ego, no problem too small
- Excited to build something from scratch
About Harry’s & NewCo:
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 as a grooming brand with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, transformed our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo. Now, Harry’s vision is to build a next generation CPG company by investing in and building a portfolio of modern brands across multiple categories.
Harry’s has vetted an exciting opportunity to build a new brand and business (“NewCo”) in an underserved CPG category. They are now looking to hire a team to build and run that business, revolutionize another category, and improve the experience of millions of people. As part of the early stage team at NewCo, you will have the unique opportunity to help build a company from the ground up, but with the support and guidance of experts that have done it before and with the backing of world-class investors.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.