Director of Store Design and Display UK
Harry’s is a men’s grooming brand that was built out of respect for quality craftsmanship, simple design, modern convenience and for guys who know they shouldn’t have to overpay for a great shave. We are able to deliver exceptional value and experiences to our customers because we are vertically integrated. From grinding steel into fine razor blades at our factory in Germany to selling our products directly to customers on our website and select retailers, we own the entire process.
Since launching in early 2013, we have been blown away by the customer response to our brand. Today, we have over 3 million customers and are growing fast. We’re now looking to bring amazing people, like you, together to redefine the way people interact with brands online and in stores across the country.
About the Team
The Global Design team is responsible for the design and development of products, packaging and environments for all Harry’s brand and Private Label brands world-wide.
About the Role
We are currently seeking a Director of Store Design and Display UK responsible for the oversight, planning and implementation of retail sales space executions for Harry's brand in the UK and adjacent market. This person will implement as well as help improve the global design and construction standards & processes for creating retail environments and branded spaces for a fast moving, growing, and progressive brand. The Director of Store Design and Development UK will be a motivational and inspirational engine as an individual contributor at the senior leadership level and will help build the team that at term will be responsible for the development and production of all in-store sales spaces within retailers like Boots, Super Drug and all future channels. This role will report to the Senior Director of Store Design and Development in New York City.
We seek a self motivated, self starter store development leader and creative problem solver with a strong design skill set and construction experience in the retail setting. You’ll be hands on: able and willing to jump in at any stage of the process to create CAD documentation, review prototype, check production and evaluate in store execution to name a few.
As Director of Store Design & Display UK you will understand the brand’s DNA in order to successfully own and lead store development design and construction initiatives. You will work with an internal, New-York based team of industrial, graphic and production designers, manage external vendors and consultants, and collaborate cross-functionally with our Retail and Operations teams to successfully create award winning in store merchandising and retail environments.
The preferred candidate will have experience managing external manufacturing vendors and print shops (excellent fluency in print production a strong plus) to deliver completed stores environments in a fast paced and demanding environment.
Harry's is NOT opening its own retail locations - this role will be focused on in-store merchandising efforts for 3rd party mass retailers. This is NOT a design or architectural role - the ideal candidate will have focused on in-store executions at mass retail.
What you will accomplish:
- Jump in and build files in CAD when it’s necessary. Will be the main contributor prior to building the team. This is currently a working manager position.
- With the help and support of the US office, hire and manage a team of in-store fixture developers for the UK market.
- Ensure high standards of design, performance and quality from start of processes until implementation in stores
- Maintain design vision throughout the development process - ensure original design intent makes it to the shelves
- Ensures processes and policies are consistent with corporate guidelines and best in class industry practices
- Maintain a live connection between the UK team and the U.S. team.
- Continuously evaluate the performance of internal and external resources and propose changes as required to ensure all elements are up to Harry’s brand standards
- Work cross-functionally with the retail, operations and international teams
- Manage the design and development processes of store environments from kick-off to final approval
- Work closely with U.S. industrial, graphic and production designers to bring design directions to life by creatively ensuring construction feasibility and costs are met
- Lead the development relationship between the Design team and their internal (Retail, Operations) and external partners (vendors).
- Coordinates all design team communications, updates, adjustments with cross-functional partners internally and vendors externally
- Responsibility for “buildability” and articulation between designs, plans and full construction documents
- Participating in vendor selection with Operations teams.
- Deliver projects on-time, under budget delivery of well executed retail merchandising projects meeting all brand requirements.
- Travel to vendors and stores sites as needed
This should describe you:
- 10+ years of in-store fixture design, planning and production.
- Degree from a four-year accredited university.
- Degree and background in architecture, engineering or design a plus
- Proven records of multiple major project execution in mass retailers like Boots,
Super Drug an absolute must.
- At least 7 year of experience managing a team, international team management a plus
- Must be highly organized with a methodical and strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Master at managing several projects at one time
- Excellent ability to work with and manage 3rd party stakeholders
- Creation and management of construction documents (5-7 years)
- Strong problem-solving and decision making skills
- Ability to adapt quickly in a rapidly-changing environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop relationships across all levels.
- Ability to balance design, with operational needs and budget objectives
- Skilled in the visual, written and verbal communication of design issues
- Ability to translate stated design principles / objectives into unique and varied store locations
- Computer proficient. Fluent in Microsoft Office, SolidWorks, Adobe Suite
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.