About the Team
The Harry's Inc. Quality Engineering team is responsible for the production and delivery of high quality products for both Harry’s and Flamingo brands and our many store brand partners. The Quality Engineering Team supports a key strategic goal of the company – to continue to provide high-quality products to customers and retailers all over the world by ensuring quality standards are consistently maintained in our products. Our team fulfills this function by conducting audits, drafting quality standards, advising management on ways to improve operations and represent the voice of or our customers/consumers to drive improvement.
About the Role
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an energetic and self-motivated individual to join Harry‘s Quality team as Packaging Quality Engineer in our New York City office.
Reporting to the Senior Packaging Quality Manager, the primary purpose of this role is to provide key technical support on Packaging projects from concept through commercialization, ensuring all aspects of Quality and Packaging performance are covered throughout the entire development process.
As the Company and portfolio grows, this role will serve as a leader that will set priorities, guides and establishes processes through Quality management on Packaging Development projects, from concept to mass production. As a Packaging Quality Engineer, you will work in cross-functional project teams and be responsible for establishing and promoting a “Quality Culture” while focusing on the continuous improvement of all activities and processes involved in business growth, innovation quality, innovation and cost savings projects.
What you will accomplish
The Packaging Quality Engineer works closely with R&D, Sourcing, Graphics, Supply Chain/ Manufacturing, Logistics/Distribution network to:
- Provide technical leadership on packaging programs from concept through specification development to final commercialization in manufacturing facilities.
- Coordinate and support Packaging Engineering aspects of materials development with focus on quality, performance, cost and services projects across the NPI agenda for Harry’s and Flaming brands
- Implement package and finish goods specification content, creation and validation for all new and existing package components.
- Drive projects designed to improve efficiencies, package component quality, decrease complaints & cost of goods, specifically related to existing packaging challenges.
- Provide test data related to technical and structural robustness across the package function used to steer decisions related to specifications, package performance and technical preparedness for production
- Drive confirmation of new package testing protocols and procedures required to confirm functional acceptability of new packaging components and materials in regards o production, transportation method, storage conditions and end use.
- Provide Packaging Quality Assurance support in the manufacture of new and existing packaging
- Represent the Customer/Consumer's voice with the help of manager in direct decisions and in coaching of other functions to fully achieve a project's Quality targets, while achieving cost and timing targets.
- Overall Risk Management (eliminating risks through strong problem solving or by use of a specific controls)
- Participate in validation of project phase transitions using updates on risk assessment/risk management
- Provide alerts to Project Steering Team and Supervisor in the event of project breakdowns
- Develop synergistic working relationships with manufacturing plants as well as material vendors
Background & Experience
- B.S. Package Engineering/Chemical/Mechanical or related field
- 4+ years of Technical & Professional development experience with consumer packaging technology, preferably as Packaging Engineer.
- Demonstrated ability to support multiple projects across a designated brand/product portfolio with a substantial workload and theoretical knowledge of primary and secondary package engineering.
- Direct consumer product experience and knowledge of commercialization process
- Technical depth and performance management skills
- Dynamic cross-function interaction
- Highly effective project management
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Broad knowledge of packaging materials, primary/secondary packaging designs, testing processes/procedures, shipping and commercialization process. (E-commerce packaging experience is a plus)
- Strong ability to utilize computer systems including TOPS or Cape Pack
- Robust problem analysis and solving skills
This should describe you
- Proven ability to interact with cross functional business partners to establish targets, plans and maintain timelines to ensure timely and quality execution.
- A logical and scientific approach to problem solving
- Demonstrated ability to accomplish objectives on assignments which have ambiguity associated with their procedures, solutions, approach, etc.
- Be able to parallel path several technical solutions and implement the best alternative to meet project goals and appropriate timing without compromising project execution.
- Leverage commercialization experience and technical knowledge to make quick and sound decisions while taking appropriate risks to solve project challenges.
- Ability to define action steps to advance programs given conceptual objectives.
- Ability to influence key business decisions during the packaging development process.
- Demonstrate understanding of packaging specification documents, content, systems, drawing and document management.
- Proactive problem solving by leveraging in depth and extensive knowledge of material technologies.
- Communicate complex technical matters in a succinct and clear way to both technical and non-technical people in both written and verbal forms
Here's who you'll work with
- Reporting to Senior Packaging Quality Manager
- Working in which team: Quality
- Which teams would they work with cross-functionally: R&D, Graphics/Design, Sourcing, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Logistcis/Distribution.
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.