About the Role
The Senior Engineering Manager, Backend is responsible for leading a team that is responsible for designing and implementing backend services to support a variety of business needs. You will be responsible for programming best practices, our backend roadmap and understand the impact that this can have across the company. You will improve process and collaboration across groups and provide coaching and professional growth to your team. You will report to the Senior Director of Engineering.
What you will accomplish:
- Take ownership of the team responsible for design and implementation of new backend services
- Lead the team in making improvements in architecture and making existing backend services more performant, reliable, secure, testable and maintainable
- Drive visibility on key engineering metrics for performance, availability, scalability and efficiency
- Deliver a roadmap detailing backend development that supports sustainable growth & retention for our business (additional brands, systems and geographies)
- Coach, lead, and motivate engineering team members to deliver on projects and product launches
This should describe you:
- You have a Bachelor’s in computer science, software engineering or similar (or equivalent non-traditional training), 8+ years of engineering work experience and been a people manager for 2+ years
- You know how to make large software projects maintainable and extensible in the long run and have experience with technologies such as databases, queues, workers, concurrency, indexes, etc. (experience with AWS technologies is a plus)
- You know how to ask the right questions, evaluate tradeoffs fairly and holistically, and have the intellectual reasoning to get the right answer most of the time
- You are able to develop an engineering culture so that engineers are able to do their best work and care deeply about their growth
- You are exceptional at building a team, understanding candidates' motivations and are able to paint a compelling vision for engineering at Harry's
- You are deeply curious, driven to understand our business, product, and technology, and to apply that knowledge to create better outcomes
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.