Harry's is looking for an experienced, talented, and energetic person who will lead an equally talented engineering team in the creation, design, and development of exceptional products for our Senior Manager, Product Design Engineering role. As a key cross-functional partner with Program Management, Quality, and Product Research teams, this individual has the responsibility to ensure the PDE team’s work is technically sound, follows robust engineering processes, and is aligned toward proper metrics and timelines. Through both individual technical contributions as well as those of the directly reporting team, this person will have opportunities to engage with executive management and to help build the Harry’s product and technology roadmap. This role will report directly to the Director of Product Design Engineering, partner and collaborate with other Product Design Engineer managers, and work cross-functionally with Program Management, Quality, Product Research, Manufacturing, Operations and Supply Chain, Legal, and Third-Party Suppliers.
About the Team
Product Design Engineering (PDE) is a small but growing team with the outsized responsibility of ownership of all areas of product design and development. We deliver innovative, performance-driven personal care and grooming products for global markets. As a team we are constantly challenged at all ends of the spectrum, being responsible for everything from small-batch design projects to precision products that will be produced in the hundreds of millions.
As the leaders for product design, the PDE team is responsible for complex technical workstreams spanning development from early concepting through start of mass production—design, 3D/2D CAD, analysis, prototyping, testing and planning.
We’re excited by the tremendous growth at Harry’s—into new product categories, new markets, and new geographies. And the success we have enjoyed has opened tremendous opportunities for growth and development.
About the Role
As a leader, the PDE Sr. Manager will foster a supportive and collaborative, yet challenging work environment guided by four values:
- We encourage questions, sharing expertise and constant learning to improve ourselves, our company, our industry and our customer’s experiences.
- We always expect direct, honest, and supportive communication. We tell it like it is without blame and see every interaction as an opportunity to grow together.
- Each of us is a humble, hardworking human who always gives more than what’s expected because we care so deeply. We work, have fun, endure lows, and celebrate highs as a team.
- We critically question conventional wisdom in search of the best path. Harry’s was founded as a better alternative. We pursue the charted and uncharted and take smart risks. We’re always game for a challenge. Plus, making something better is exciting!
What you will do:
- Be a leader within the PDE team
- Drive technically successful and timely engineering development and execution of new product initiatives
- Perform project management within PDE by prioritizing tasks and ensuring engineering deliverables are met
- Serve as key point of contact with the Program Management team to coordinate program level objectives and implement direct action plans for PDE team
- Be a champion of effective engineering processes. Be constantly on the lookout for how processes can be improved.
- Drive technical decisions on PDE projects, backed by solid data and fundamentals
- Participate in resource planning and help build the PDE team as the company grows
- Direct management of Product Design Engineers
- Travel up to 25%
This should describe you:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or similar
- 12+ years of experience in the design, testing, and development of new products, including 2+ years in the direct line management of engineers in product development
- Demonstrated leadership in a high performing team environment
- Experience with building new teams and nurturing a strong, positive team dynamic
- Demonstrated success in bringing technically complex products to market
- Skilled at managing multiple projects in a fast-paced, challenging and always changing environment with the ability to shift priorities to meet rapidly evolving business needs. Program Management experience highly desirable and PMP certification is a plus.
- Strong background in high volume plastic part design and manufacturing, mechanical assemblies, 3D CAD (SolidWorks, Creo, CATIA, etc.), engineering drawings, tolerances, and specifications
- Experience in consumer products (e.g. CPG/FMCG, Consumer Electronics), medical devices, or similar
- Strong design and engineering capability
- Creative, analytical, dynamic, and operates with flexibility
- Skills in FMEA, DFM, GD&T, DoE, simulation/modeling (FEA) desirable
- Sense of humor
We built Harry’s with one simple belief: everyone deserves a great shave at a fair price. As such, we provide our own global brand of exceptional shaving and grooming products direct to our customers online as well as through major retailers.
We launched in 2013 and have been blown away by the customer response since then. We’re looking to bring amazing people, like you, together to redefine the way people interact with our products.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.