Harry’s is looking for an strategic, innovative, analytical and creative leader for its Harry’s Ventures team. Your mandate would be to lead a team that re-invents the Consumer Packaged Goods industry by identifying and evaluating opportunities to build new brands or buy emerging brands and developing strong business cases for them to achieve significant scale and impact in their markets.
The Harry's brand is built on the principle that every person deserves a quality shave at a fair price. We offer our products of the highest quality products direct to customers on our website - harrys.com - at a fraction of the price of similar products sold by other brands. And, because we sell directly, we get to know get to know our customers very well and ensure that we make the continue and offer the products that our customers really want and value.
We feel lucky to have an amazing team who respect and care about one another and share the passion of putting the customer first and creating value by re-envisioning how to deliver modern brands to consumers.
Moving forward, Harry’s vision is to build a next generation CPG company, investing in, building, and owning a portfolio of omnichannel modern brands across multiple categories. After raising $112M in our most recent round of funding, the company plans to leverage its platform and capabilities, and partner with exceptional entrepreneurs to launch a number of new disruptive brands in new categories in the coming years. And, that’s where you come in. We’ve established an organization called Harry’s Ventures with the specific mandate of identifying the next great CPG brand ideas and entrepreneurs, executing transactions by which Harry’s would own a majority stake in the brands and then setting them up for success and scale within the Harry’s eco-system.
About the Role
As the GM of Harry’s Ventures, you will lead a team charged with identifying and investing in the next great CPG brands. This includes developing new game changing ideas within CPG, attracting and partnering with amazing entrepreneurs with their own disruptive ideas, exploring acquiring or licensing new technology that could serve as the foundation for a disruptive product and brand, and exploring M&A transactions of emerging brands where Harry’s can leverage its capabilities to accelerate growth. As part of the process, your team will identify white space in CPG categories, evaluate how brands meet consumer needs in differential ways, partner with entrepreneurs to build business plans and work with Harry’s investment committee to provide capital and support necessary to set up the brands for success
- Help to define Harry’s Ventures strategy, approach and operating processes
- Build an investment team capable of sourcing ideas and companies, deeply evaluating business models and consumer needs, building business plans and financial models, performing valuation analysis and structuring complex transactions
- Build the Harry’s Ventures brand through strong relationships and network internally and externally with the start-up community and other innovative communities
- Identify and attract talented entrepreneurs and companies with highly disruptive brands and business models
- Partner with other companies and retailers to identify white spaces and evaluate the opportunity to build brands within that whitespace
- Oversee diligence process including: deep consumer and market research, positioning of new brands, detailed financial and operating plans, and company valuation and deal structure
- Lead effective negotiations with target companies and entrepreneurs around, transaction structure and capital needs
- Report to Harry’s co-founder and the CEO of Harry’s Labs and work collaboratively with him to define the strategy and approach for sourcing and building new brands at Harry’s
The following should describe you
- 10+ years in Corporate Development, M&A, investment banking, private equity or venture investing experience
- Exceptional leader with proven ability to manage dynamic and talented teams in highly fluid environments
- Significant experience in intensive diligence processes (ideally in the consumer space), including market and consumer research, brand positioning and development, and deal structuring
- Proven ability to partner closely with entrepreneurs to understand their vision, structure transactions to meet their needs and support them in growing their businesses
- Think strategically and creatively while applying sound business judgment and qualitative and quantitative analysis to complex problems
- A self-starter who can build and evolve process, works effectively with cross-functional teams and thrives in a fast paced setting that is constantly evolving
- Capably handle ambiguity and can extrapolate and synthesize your way to insightful recommendations even when data is far from perfect
- Can Act as an individual contributor working directly with companies and can also effectively guide and manage others.
- Strong interpersonal skills: Confident, poised, articulate, clear in communication. Would be comfortable presenting to a senior audience and facilitating complex discussions.
- Humble. Low ego. Always putting others and Harry’s first.
- Centered and methodical. A steady hand in turbulent or uncertain situations.
- You take your work seriously but don’t take yourself too seriously.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.