Today, harmonic.ai is used by teams like Brex, Greylock, Index, a16z, MongoDB, Notion, and Bloomberg to connect startups with the capital and resources that they need to drive growth. Our team is backed by top-tier investors like Craft, Sozo, Floodgate, SOMA, Teamworthy, AVG and many others.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity in all of its forms, and we hire the best person we can for each role, no matter your personal background. Research tells us that applicants who are female or non-binary, as well as applicants who are people of color, are less likely to apply for roles they do not feel 100% qualified for. Think of our job postings as the starting point for discussion, take the leap and talk to us!
Before reading further, take a look at our cultural values and see if being part of Philharmonic Orchestra resonates with you!
What you will do
At a high level, you will help keep our data “FIT” (Keep them fresh, maintain a huge inventory, and understand our data by improving our taxonomy). Below are specific examples which will help with that.
- Derive deeper insight from our data by scaling our current knowledge graph infrastructure to handle hundreds of millions of startup related data.
- Deeply understand how our insight layer is connected to the rest of our application layer and ensure the needs of our customers as well as our teams are met by focusing on performance, observability, and most importantly customer demand.
- Evaluate how we store time series data and help us scale it 10x the current throughput in an iterative manner.
- Leverage ML infrastructure and services to continually improve our taxonomy and derive relevant signals from the underlying data.
- Up level the engineering team by mentoring and managing engineers to increase the team’s effectiveness.
- Track record of building highly performant, highly observable, and highly scalable systems.
- 5+ years of experience building scalable distributed systems.
- Experience with streaming technologies (Pub/Sub, Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc).
- Experience with various data storage solutions (SQL, NoSQL / key-value stores).
- Preference to candidates on the West Coast & East Coast. Team is fully remote, however we meet frequently within these regions.
- 3+ years of experience in leading teams either as a Technical Lead or Engineering Manager.
- 2+ years of experience in an early-stage startup.
- Proven track record migrating systems in a changing environment that allows for little to no downtime to meet increasing demand.
- Experience in working in Python/strongly typed languages.
- Obsessed about your craft and share your knowledge (tech talks, articles, open source, etc).
We despise the typical software engineering interview process because it does not align with our day to day work. We structured our interview process around pragmatism. Expect us to ask questions closely aligned with the work we expect you to do.
Here’s our interview process:
- (25 min) Chat about role: Let’s talk about the role and whether this is a good fit for you or not.
- (30 min) Chat about culture: Let’s talk about whether Harmonic is the right place for you or not.
- (90 mins) Take-home test.
- (45 mins) Call with Product partner: see if we would collaborate well.
- (4 Hours) Follow up on take-home: Detailed discussion of the take-home and digging in deeper to measure technical skills. This will involve coding with 2-3 engineers on our team. We will pay for your time.
- (30 mins) Call with our CEO: Meet our leadership team and ask questions about the company.
- (Async) Referrals check.
- (1+ day) Dinner: Let’s get to know each other over dinner. We can only get to know about each so much through video calls. We believe this is a critical hire and believe this investment is necessary. Flight and housing (if needed) is covered.
- 🏦 Above market cash compensation and generous equity packages
- 🩺 Top of the line health, dental and vision insurance, with 100% premium covered
- 📈 401k matching
- 🌴 Unlimited vacation and sick leave
- 🌍 Fully-distributed, work from anywhere