Link children with the futures they deserve. Our intentionally small and community-focused independent PK-5 charter school is seeking Activity Specialists for our After All program. This individual would join our dedicated team of professionals who have been ‘linking’ academics, values, and community since 2005. Our community needs a team player to engage families and students, collaborate with and support staff, and support the day-to-day operations of Harlem Link.
After All at Harlem Link
Under the umbrella of our After All program, we offer a variety of afterschool options to ensure our students have a fun, safe, and enriching space in the afternoons. These activities are offered as an extension of the school day, and include options for personalized tutoring, STEAM hands-on learning, participation in recreational sports, and partnership with other off-site afterschool programs and community partners. For the 2019-20 school year, Harlem Link is excited to expand its in-house program to offer a greater number of daily academic and club activities for our Kindergarten - 5th Grade at no cost to families.
Position Summary & Responsibilities
The Activity Specialist is an integral member of the After All team, serving as instructor and curricular collaborator in our in-house afterschool program. All afterschool staff report directly to the Director of Afterschool & Special Programs and are responsible for leading the instructional process for a specific club or activity -- from lesson planning to classroom execution and reflection. This team member has a personal and effective classroom management presence, and is comfortable guiding a small group of students through daily enrichments and toward team projects and academic goals. A high level of customer service and love for learning are key, as well as a comfort in working with a team and providing / receiving regular feedback.
This role is responsible for, but not limited to completing the following tasks:
Foster an inclusive and structured learning environment for all students:
- Develop a classroom environment and instructional model that aligns with HLCS’ Responsive Classroom model;
- Complete and submit daily attendance for assigned class accurately and on-time;
- Ensure all students are regularly attending and actively engaged in activities;
- Supervise open recreation time during afterschool program hours;
- Supervise daily transitions to clubs and partner programs and afterschool dismissal to ensure student safety;
- Communicate with families regularly during pick-up about student’s daily participation or achievements;
- Communicate effectively and discretely to Director of Afterschool any attendance, support, or behavior concerns.
Lead the creation, archiving, and execution of daily activities:
- Collaborate with other instructors and supervisor to craft 45-minute activities for each assigned day and club;
- Develop semester-long projects for enrichments / clubs and individualized goals for student participants;
- Digitize all lesson plans for archival use, including reflection notes at end of lessons;
- Participate in peer and supervisor classroom observations and feedback cycles;
- Continuously seek professional development and curricular training opportunities, as supported and approved by the Director of Afterschool.
Special Programs & Events
- Support supervision and planning of student presentations for events and field trips, as necessary with due notice.
- Supervise recreational afternoon activities during school break “Academies”, as requested and pre-approved
General & Team Responsibilities
- Ensure a safe, clean, and welcoming afterschool environment for all students and staff;
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of instructional and storage spaces;
- As needed, request materials and space for activities by way of the proper procurement channels;
- Submit weekly timesheets accurately and in a timely manner;
- Greet and interact with visitors and school personnel in a professional and positive manner;
- Perform other appropriate afterschool duties, as assigned;
All candidates must have:
- At least 1-2 years instructional experience in afterschool, DOE, or charter school role;
- 1+ years work experience on a team or in an office;
- Bachelor’s degree or abov;
- Specialized interest or background in one of the following (to lead in instruction):
- Visual Arts
- Dance & Performing Arts
- Coding, Engineering, or Maker Culture
- Language Learning
- Team Sports (e.g. soccer, basketball, dance)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Publisher, and Google Suite Programs (Drive, Sheets, Docs, etc.)
Ideal candidates are:
- Experienced in school-based or event operations;
- Welcoming of collaboration across families, school staff, vendors, and community;
- Fluent in Spanish and/or French;
- Creative thinkers who take a solutions approach to school and family challenges;
- Self-motivated learners who are outcomes-oriented and develop professional metrics of success.
Timeframe and Compensation
The Activity Specialist is a Part-Time school-year position, working at our campus 3-4 days a week, Monday through Friday, between 2:00 PM - 7:00 PM. Some additional or evening hours may be requested with advanced notice for events, field trips, and school breaks, and further hours for trainings may be agreed to and approved in advance by employee and supervisor.
This is a part-time hourly position with competitive pay range commensurate with experience. Benefits are provided in accordance with school policy.
Harlem Link is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter online at http://www.harlemlink.org/open-positions.html.