About Happify Health
Happify Health is a world leader in the development and delivery of digital mental health solutions, including digital therapeutics. Our platform has been made accessible to over 10 million people and is used by millions.
We are scientists, researchers, health care clinicians, and digital gaming experts passionate about bringing our unique expertise and areas of knowledge together to think differently and to create new highly effective approaches to mental health, making them accessible through technology.
Working closely with health plans, pharmaceutical companies, and self-insured employers, Happify Health uses evidence-based science such as CBT, positive psychology, and mindfulness and combines it with leading-edge, engaging technology to help individuals improve their mental health and wellbeing so they can live life more fully.
HappifyDTx is the Happify Health division headquartered in Burlington, MA and focused on partnering with pharmaceutical companies to develop and commercialize regulated prescription-only and OTC digital therapeutics to treat anxiety and depression that are comorbid with other diseases, as well as to treat the symptoms of the underlying disease.
HappifyDTx has recently announced a global relationship with a global leader in MS to leverage Happify Health’s existing digital therapeutic platform to develop and commercialize a standalone digital therapeutic (HappifyRx-MS) to treat patients with multiple sclerosis (MS). The Director of Alliance Management will work with the pharma partner to: i) create long-term value with the pharma partner, ii) enable productive relationships based on trust, transparency & accountability, and iii) establish HappifyDTx as a respected & valued partner.
About the Role
The Director of Alliance Management will need to amass a deep understanding of partner strategy, program status & progress, a strong relationship with many nodes within the partner organization and a comprehensive understanding of the existing contract with the pharma partner. This individual will engage & leverage Happify Health and HappifyDTx senior leadership frequently, direct or support members of internal cross-functional teams, and interface with external counterparts to ensure corporate goals are achieved via a productive working relationship.
This position will initial report to the Head of HappifyDTx, but will eventually report to the Head of Alliance Management and is based in Burlington, MA.
- Own and be accountable for the partner relationship, at times as de facto lead of external (out-licensed) programs.
- Provide regular updates to the Joint Steering Committee that provides governance of the Happify/pharma partner relationship and product development and commercialization of the HappifyRx-MS product.
- Ensure success of key alliance goals and that the relationship remains productive.
- Lead cross-functional team members in preparing for and engaging in interactions with our partners towards successful outcomes (e.g. direction/input for joint steering committee meetings, project-based analyses & recommendations, behind-the-scenes pre-wiring & coordination, etc.). Be familiar and close enough to details of the programs (internally and at the partner) to provide thoughtful direction & counsel to team members on strategy & approach.
- Liaise with Legal, Finance, Business Development, Customer Success and cross-functional teams to ensure that key contract terms, including roles & responsibilities, milestones, financial transactions, progress reports, etc. are executed appropriately, developing an informed & practical point of view when dealing with areas of ambiguity. Proactively work to identify & mitigate potential future issues.
- Create and cascade inter-company communications, develop purposeful agendas, manage key joint committee meetings and document key discussion points & decisions.
- Build and maintain relationships with key personnel both internally and with alliance partner. Regularly communicate with partner alliance management counterpart and other key partner stakeholders as needed, including ad hoc communications/events that require cross-functional communication. Engage with the partner on the various day-to-day issues and opportunities arising from the collaborations.
- Identify issues as they arise internally, or as a result of partner interactions. Strategize with team leadership and other necessary stakeholders to formulate a position and drive resolution process. Conduct post-mortem analyses. Identify and implement proactive mitigation strategies to minimize crisis management situations.
- Perform regular alliance audits and “health checks”. Prioritize issues and brainstorm solutions including to maintain high morale across teams and within organizations.
- Build expertise on partner company, including organization/leadership, strategies, financials, priorities, etc. Become HappifyDTx “internal expert” on partner company.
- Engage management and functional heads when needed to discuss and brainstorm sticking points, potential solutions, and escalation requirements. Conduct regular reviews/meetings with senior management and other functions as appropriate to communicate key issues, milestones, etc. and gather feedback.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science, computer science, or related field required
- MBA, PhD, or JD highly preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
- Drug development and digital therapeutic development knowledge with a basic to strong understanding of other functions relevant to the position, which may include: Research, Non-Clinical/Early Development, Clinical, Technical Operations/CMC, Regulatory, Medical Affairs and Commercial
- Alliance management, program management or business development experience
- Applied know-how of key alliance management principles including how to understand/apply contract language, escalate/mitigate issues, and demonstrate creative problem-solving
- Excellent interpersonal skills, executive poise and EQ, with ability to lead, engage, focus, negotiate, and resolve conflict internally and externally; demonstrated conflict management skills, including de-escalation, mediation, and bargaining preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, proactively and with agility in a complex, matrixed environment, dealing well with ambiguity, building internal alignment, influencing others and managing differences effectively
- Proven ability to identify, prioritize & resolve key project and partner issues, work with and harmonize demands from multiple customers, both internally and with partners
- Demonstrated ability to combine attention to detail with big picture perspective, operationalizing via excellence in project management and effectively managing multiple projects/priorities
- Must be fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Demonstrated competence in written and verbal communication
- Must be proficient in the use of MS Power Point, Excel & Word
Happify Health is an EEO employer committed to an exciting, diverse, and enriching work environment.