JOB TITLE: Senior Gameplay Designer
REPORTS TO: Lead Designer
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is in search of an experienced and highly skilled Gameplay Designer who has a passion for creating compelling gameplay features and mechanics.
What You Will Do:
- Own large portions of the player character such as controls, camera and various player mechanics from initial ideation to final implementation
- Pitch, prototype and polish gameplay ideas for core combat and moment-to-moment gameplay
- Evangelize gameplay features to the rest of the team and help develop best practices for other team members working with them
- Ensure that players can understand and use the features in fun and compelling ways
- Analyse, validate and incorporate feedback from the team and external user testing
- Collaborate in cross-discipline pods to implement, tune and balance gameplay systems
- Author and maintain design documentation
Who We Think Will Be A Good Fit:
- Passion for owning and iterating on fun mechanics that will engage players
- Experience and deep working knowledge of balance tuning
- Cross-disciplinary collaboration is second nature to you, and you know how to use diverse opinions to bring the best out of your features
- Experience working with Unreal Engine
- Shipped one or more AAA game titles in a Gameplay / 3Cs Design role or similar
- A good understanding of game design principles, metrics and mechanics
- Ability to drive prioritization and scheduling of work for owned feature(s)
- Creative problem-solving skills, able to consider both the details and the bigger picture
- Can independently understand and solve technical challenges related to your features
- Strong documentation skills, proficiency with Wiki systems or Confluence is a plus
- Strong collaboration skills, able to work well with team members from other disciplines and in other locations
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is an internal 2K development studio based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic), working collaboratively as one team.
Each of our locations provides the opportunity to Bravely Create on big-budget, AAA console titles in a diverse and inclusive environment.
At Hangar 13, we want people driven by curiosity — Visionaries who aren’t afraid to explore new territory. Intrepid individuals who embrace the weird, the challenging, the unconventional.
We’re continuing to build a space that empowers you to take risks and redefine what’s possible,
Where your inquisitive nature is nourished —
A home for people who aren’t satisfied with what is, but who are obsessed by what could be.
So bring your talent,
Your unique point-of-view, Your fearless tenacity,
And together, we’ll Bravely Create
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months.
Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use 2K.com and hangar13games.com accounts.