Who We Are
Hammerhead sits at the intersection of technology and athletics and we began by identifying a contradiction in cycling tech: its digital technology is decades behind its material technology. The bikes used at the highest end of the sport are at the absolute pinnacle of material science, while cycling computers, on the other hand, are generationally behind other consumer technologies. In the Karoo 2 we are building software and hardware that is cutting edge and original, rather than derivative, bringing the digital revolution to the bike, and completely altering the in ride experience. Our mission is to unlock people’s athletic potential. We are driven by a belief that athletics broadly, and cycling in particular, have profound power to improve both individuals and society.
To date, Hammerhead has raised over $12M from top institutional investors including Primary Venture Partners, KB Partners, NEXT Ventures, Maveron and Courtside Ventures.
What We're Looking For
Hammerhead is looking for a Brand Designer with a passion for cycling to join our internal creative team on a 3-6 month contract-to-hire basis. Your duties encompass developing and overseeing a wide variety of advertising, marketing, and content creation initiatives, including website design and digital ad creation. Reporting to our Lead Creative, and working closely with them and fellow Marketing team members, you’d be responsible for evolving and implementing a consistent brand identity across all platforms and use-cases. The right candidate is a self-starter, able to balance several fast-paced projects at once, and willing to step outside their immediate role’s responsibilities when needed.
What You’ll Do
- Implement, evolve and reimagine our visual brand identity through design and content creation
- Own our website design and work closely with our developers to implement those designs
- Design print and digital ads for publications and 3rd-party sites (banner ads, homepage takeovers, paid editorial features)
- Curate and design product and brand assets for 3rd-party retailers
- Work closely with the product team to understand upcoming product feature releases and effectively translate those into easily understandable digital content
- Function as our senior marketing designer and provide direction to junior creative team members and contractors/vendors when needed
- Contribute insights into our overall marketing strategy
What You’ll Need
- 5+ years of design/brand/creative experience or equivalent mix of education and professional experience
- Proficiency in Adobe CC and Sketch, figma a plus
- Motion graphics and video editing experience a plus
- Experience designing for print
- Deep knowledge and a finger on the pulse of the cycling industry, such that you can continually position our brand at the forefront of cycling culture a major plus
- Willingness to use and understand the product at a detailed level and on a regular basis in order to keep up with our continually evolving software
- Project management experience
- Stellar portfolio of creative work, exhibiting a clean, innovative aesthetic
- Able to articulately communicate your design intent and impact
Working at Hammerhead
On a mission to win: We are here to build the best product in our category, and have assembled a team of highly disciplined individuals dedicated to mastering our craft. We will only build products that we believe will be the best in their class, and are fully focused on making Karoo 2 the world’s best cycling computer. We are not interested in spreading ourselves thin to produce a wide range of products that won't push the boundaries of their categories.
Playing as a team: We have a strong culture of athletics, with many members of the team being passionate cyclists. This provides a basis for excellence, as we seek to foster in our work environment, that same dedication, precision and camaraderie of an elite sport team. We all play our part with excellence, and are willing to step outside of our role when necessary to block and tackle for each other, in the knowledge that everyone else is bringing the same dedication to the mission.
Taking ownership: We believe that taking ownership, and focusing on the problems and solutions that we can control, regardless of how small they might be, is the most effective way to operate as individuals and as a team. We do not make excuses, and we take ownership at all levels, because taking ownership leads to clear steps for action and creates a great work environment of humility. We provide honest, clear, feedback from another, even when it might be easier not to do so.
Flexibility: Building a team of excellence, allows us to provide maximum freedom in the structure of our work. We have created systems for remote work since our company’s inception, offer flexible work hours, and limitless time off. We celebrate excellence at work, and in play, recognizing each team member's contribution, and financially supporting personal athletic goals. Interpersonal relationships are key to success and we provide formal and informal company gatherings and retreats throughout the year in beautiful locations.
As a Equal Opportunity Employer, Hammerhead will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please let us know.