Who We Are
Hammerhead sits at the intersection of technology and athletics and we began by identifying a contradiction in cycling tech: its digital technology is decades behind its material technology. The bikes used at the highest end of the sport are at the absolute pinnacle of material science, while cycling computers, on the other hand, are generationally behind other consumer technologies. In the Karoo 2 we are building software and hardware that is cutting edge and original, rather than derivative, bringing the digital revolution to the bike, and completely altering the in ride experience. Our mission is to unlock people’s athletic potential. We are driven by a belief that athletics broadly, and cycling in particular, have profound power to improve both individuals and society.
To date, Hammerhead has raised over $12M from top institutional investors including Primary Venture Partners, KB Partners, NEXT Ventures, Maveron and Courtside Ventures.
What we are looking for
We seek those inspired by our vision to unlock peoples athletic potential, and eager to dive into the challenges of bringing extraordinary technology to life through all the uncertainties of product development and business. We are looking for individuals who are responsible, responsive, attentive, and kind, and a pleasure to work with. A pre-existing passion for athletics in general and cycling in particular is a huge plus.
The QA Automation engineer is a specialized role being added to the Hammerhead software department. This role will lead the building out of automated integration tests that cross the components comprising our cycling computer system. The role is expected to work effectively in a number of the following areas:
- Android-based UI automation testing
- Website automation testing
- Integration testing across systems
- Test management, deployment, and automated execution
What You’ll Do
Develop Test Automation Suites, Infrastructure, and Process within an Agile Organization
- Operate with a high degree of ownership and motivation to outcomes.
- Be curious and aspire to learn, impact the outcomes, and expand your capabilities over time.
- Be comfortable and effective working from home and ideally be able to work in a co-located space as warranted.
- Be a valuable member of an overall high-performing cross-functional, and self-organizing Agile team.
- Interface well with engineering management, developer, and manual QA roles
Implement automated feature testing of our cycling computer system
- Writing Android-based automation tests in Appium, Espresso, or similar
- Writing Browser-based automation test in Selenium or similar
- Orchestrate system-level automation testing across Web, Android, and OTA systems.
- Utilize Jenkins, Containers, and Git to execute, deploy, and manage test infrastructure
Success in this role looks like:
- Efficiently and consistently delivering incremental build-out of the automation solution exceeding the velocity achieved by an average person filling such a role.
- Delivery of initial base framework within a few sprints to show progress, initial ROI, and to build the confidence of the organization
- Continual attention to maintaining a focus on the automation initiative over time to avoid atrophy of the direction over time
- Willing to expand experience areas with management understanding that this requires ramping up regarding efficiency.
- Foster and contribute to positive team behaviors and interactions.
- Being a coach to existing manual testers and helping to grow them into automation engineers.
- Exhibiting a team orientation and ability to balance the overall team output against your own contribution. (Team over individual).
- Highly dependable and consistent.
- Able to work independently while asking for help in a timely fashion as needed.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in CS or similar.
- 2 years experience as a professional QA automation engineer with experience in automated testing of web, mobile, and ideally embedded systems.
- Professional experience with
- Selenium or similar.
- Appium, Espresso, or similar
- Software Operations: Git, GitHub - (using pull request for reviews), Jenkins for build and deployment automation, Cloud such as AWS, and containers.
Compensation and Perks
- Competitive compensation with equity
- Unlimited paid time off
- Medical, dental and vision insurance with options for no cost out of pocket plans
- Yearly travel allowance to be used on fitness events with colleagues
Working at Hammerhead:
On a mission to win
We are here to build the best product in our category, and have assembled a team of highly disciplined individuals dedicated to mastering our craft. We will only build products that we believe will be the best in their class, and are fully focused on making Karoo 2 the world’s best cycling computer. We are not interested in spreading ourselves thin to produce a wide range of products that won't push the boundaries of their categories.
Playing as a team
We have a strong culture of athletics, with many members of the team being passionate cyclists. This provides a basis for excellence, as we seek to foster in our work environment, that same dedication, precision and camaraderie of an elite sport team. We all play our part with excellence, and are willing to step outside of our role when necessary to block and tackle for each other, in the knowledge that everyone else is bringing the same dedication to the mission.
We believe that taking ownership, and focusing on the problems and solutions that we can control, regardless of how small they might be, is the most effective way to operate as individuals and as a team. We do not make excuses, and we take ownership at all levels, because taking ownership leads to clear steps for action and creates a great work environment of humility. We provide honest, clear, feedback from another, even when it might be easier not to do so.
Building a team of excellence, allows us to provide maximum freedom in the structure of our work. We have created systems for remote work since our company’s inception, offer flexible work hours, and limitless time off. We celebrate excellence at work, and in play, recognizing each team member's contribution, and financially supporting personal athletic goals. Interpersonal relationships are key to success and we provide formal and informal company gatherings and retreats throughout the year in beautiful locations.
As a Equal Opportunity Employer, Hammerhead will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.