Who We Are
Hammerhead sits at the intersection of technology and athletics and we began by identifying a contradiction in cycling tech: its digital technology is decades behind its material technology. The bikes used at the highest end of the sport are at the absolute pinnacle of material science, while cycling computers, on the other hand, are generationally behind other consumer technologies. In the Karoo 2 we are building software and hardware that is cutting edge and original, rather than derivative, bringing the digital revolution to the bike, and completely altering the in ride experience. Our mission is to unlock people’s athletic potential. We are driven by a belief that athletics broadly, and cycling in particular, have profound power to improve both individuals and society.
To date, Hammerhead has raised over $12M from top institutional investors including Primary Venture Partners, KB Partners, NEXT Ventures, Maveron and Courtside Ventures.
What we are looking for
We seek those inspired by our vision to unlock peoples athletic potential, and eager to dive into the challenges of bringing extraordinary technology to life through all the uncertainties of product development and business. We are looking for individuals who are responsible, responsive, attentive, and kind, and a pleasure to work with. A pre-existing passion for athletics in general and cycling in particular is a huge plus.
Hammerhead is looking for an experienced Head of Finance to build our Finance team. We're looking for someone to roll up their sleeves and be our first finance employee building out and leading a team. As the primary owner of the function, the role will include oversight of all things finance; so the successful candidate will have FP&A chops with a toolbox that can additionally and capably oversee and steer accounting operations and compliance for a high-growth, high-volume early stage company. On top of month-end routines and debits / credits, duties will include preparation and management of budgets & forecasts, operational and management reporting, trend analysis, fundraising support, and ad hoc analysis to support management decision-making. The role will be part of our Leadership team reporting into the COO. The Head of Finance will be expected to expand beyond financial responsibilities and be a strategic thought partner across the Company.
What You’ll Do
Planning / Forecasting
- Lead planning and forecasting processes and the setting of business and financial goals for the Company; corral major internal stakeholders to maintain business drivers and assumptions and their effects on the budget/forecast.
- Report and provide in-depth analysis on monthly Actuals vs. Forecast / Budget to key team members.
- Continually keep a pulse on the business to identify best practices and ROI opportunities, manage risks and opportunities, and recommend / steer solutions to achieve those improvements.
- Prepare clear and easy to understand models with a focus on flexibility to change assumptions and scalability of model outputs; maintain a framework to nimbly provide scenario / sensitivity analyses to assess outcome ranges
- Own recurring execution and compliance in the accounting function, including appropriate close cycles, cash-side operations and transaction reconciliations; all balance sheet reconciliations, etc.
Accounting Controls & Systems
- Establish and maintain accounting policies and processes that align with best practices and growth, a control environment commensurate with the Company’s model; and ensure that financial systems keep pace with the business’ scale.
- Own tax, banking, audit, valuation and other relationships (and engagements).
- Support and/or lead our equity and debt financing efforts
- Cultivate a team, both remote and local, both FTEs and outsourced solutions.
What You’ll Need
- 8+ progressive years of senior FP&A/Strategic Finance experience with heavy exposure to (if not ownership of) the accounting function
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, economics or other related field; MBA preferred
- Advanced Excel user with operationally proven modeling skills
- Must be technically and operationally proficient with GAAP and its flow-through to FP&A strategy
- Experience with high-growth / high-volume e-commerce environments
- Experience with cost accounting and managing a production- and inventory-oriented COGS stack strongly preferred
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, with a team-first mentality.
- Experience building and managing teams
- Display confidence in articulating “the right way” to do things, including offering solutions
- Comfortable operating at a frenetic pace, as both a manager of people and a sole contributor
- Experience with recurring revenue models
Compensation and Perks
- Competitive compensation with equity
- Unlimited paid time off
- Medical, dental and vision insurance with options for no cost out of pocket plans
- Yearly travel allowance to be used on fitness events with colleagues
Working at Hammerhead
On a mission to win
We are here to build the best product in our category, and have assembled a team of highly disciplined individuals dedicated to mastering our craft. We will only build products that we believe will be the best in their class, and are fully focused on making Karoo 2 the world’s best cycling computer. We are not interested in spreading ourselves thin to produce a wide range of products that won't push the boundaries of their categories.
Playing as a team
We have a strong culture of athletics, with many members of the team being passionate cyclists. This provides a basis for excellence, as we seek to foster in our work environment, that same dedication, precision and camaraderie of an elite sport team. We all play our part with excellence, and are willing to step outside of our role when necessary to block and tackle for each other, in the knowledge that everyone else is bringing the same dedication to the mission.
We believe that taking ownership, and focusing on the problems and solutions that we can control, regardless of how small they might be, is the most effective way to operate as individuals and as a team. We do not make excuses, and we take ownership at all levels, because taking ownership leads to clear steps for action and creates a great work environment of humility. We provide honest, clear, feedback from another, even when it might be easier not to do so.
Building a team of excellence, allows us to provide maximum freedom in the structure of our work. We have created systems for remote work since our company’s inception, offer flexible work hours, and limitless time off. We celebrate excellence at work, and in play, recognizing each team member's contribution, and financially supporting personal athletic goals. Interpersonal relationships are key to success and we provide formal and informal company gatherings and retreats throughout the year in beautiful locations.
As a Equal Opportunity Employer, Hammerhead will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.