Who We Are
Hammerhead sits at the intersection of technology and athletics and we began by identifying a contradiction in cycling tech: its digital technology is decades behind its material technology. The bikes used at the highest end of the sport are at the absolute pinnacle of material science, while cycling computers, on the other hand, are generationally behind other consumer technologies. In the Karoo 2 we are building software and hardware that is cutting edge and original, rather than derivative, bringing the digital revolution to the bike, and completely altering the in ride experience. Our mission is to unlock people’s athletic potential. We are driven by a belief that athletics broadly, and cycling in particular, have profound power to improve both individuals and society.
To date, Hammerhead has raised over $12M from top institutional investors including Primary Venture Partners, KB Partners, NEXT Ventures, Maveron and Courtside Ventures.
What we are looking for
We seek those inspired by our vision to unlock peoples athletic potential, and eager to dive into the challenges of bringing extraordinary technology to life through all the uncertainties of product development and business. We are looking for individuals who are responsible, responsive, attentive, and kind, and a pleasure to work with. A pre-existing passion for athletics in general and cycling in particular is a huge plus.
As a Lead UX Product Designer at Hammerhead, you will work closely with our Product team to set the product direction across multiple product lines, as well as bring it to life as a world-class end-user experience. This will involve collaboration with the Product, Software, and Industrial Design teams to design and implement a cohesive vision to solve our current and future customers’ problems in ways that build upon our existing products. Your focus and experience in UX will help establish and maintain a user-centered perspective across our design decisions. Your creativity and experience will be put to use in brainstorming ways to solve cyclists’ problems, applying the latest technology when possible. All this while designing, testing, and evaluating our current and future generations of software. In time, you will grow the product design team to ensure we can continue at scale.
What You’ll Do
Understand the customer and the market
- Pay attention to market analysis to understand initial and secondary market opportunities
- Lead customer research, testing, and synthesis of research into actionable insights
- Use customer research and segmentation in service of product design
- Track the competitive landscape
Craft User Experiences
- Design feature and product concepts and help shepherd them to market-ready digital experiences
- Define the user experience, interactions, and user interface through user flows, information architecture, sketches and wireframes, and visual design
- Collaborate with hardware and software product teams to map and define multi-modal user experiences taking into account visual, ergonomic, and aural dimensions.
- Build functional prototypes to validate and test your designs
- Clearly define user interaction patterns and paradigms
- Work with software to ensure the appropriate deployment of intended the designs
- Manage external Design Consultants/Firms
- Practice and educate the company on best-practices in Product and Experience Design
- Assist in leading and growing the product design team
- Collaborate with Design and Product to bring about well-informed and well-crafted designs
- Help maintain the balance that is vision for a product’s ideal experience and the incremental stages required of iterative development.
- Demonstrate and teach Design craft mastery
- Help shape the product strategy and vision
What You’ll Need
- 5+ years of professional applied experience in a product design setting
- 7+ years creative experience overall
- You are a cyclist and ride and/or train with data.
- Your portfolio demonstrates an iterative design process, complex problem solving, and successful outcomes
- Basic user research skills such as interviews and usability testing
- Proficiency in Figma, Sketch, Miro, and other tools of the trade
- Proficiency and experience in designing meaningful and useful data visualizations with an understanding of balancing breadth of data with users cognitive load.
- Comfort analyzing user behavior in tools such as Google Analytics, Kibana, Zendesk, and Dovetail
- The ability to solve niche, complex UX/UI problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent design craft and systems thinking
- Technical understanding and curiosity
- Experience and willingness to work remotely with teammates across the globe
Compensation and Perks
- Competitive compensation with equity
- Unlimited paid time off
- Medical, dental and vision insurance with options for no cost out of pocket plans
- Yearly travel allowance to be used on fitness events with colleagues
Working at Hammerhead:
On a mission to win
We are here to build the best product in our category, and have assembled a team of highly disciplined individuals dedicated to mastering our craft. We will only build products that we believe will be the best in their class, and are fully focused on making Karoo 2 the world’s best cycling computer. We are not interested in spreading ourselves thin to produce a wide range of products that won't push the boundaries of their categories.
Playing as a team
We have a strong culture of athletics, with many members of the team being passionate cyclists. This provides a basis for excellence, as we seek to foster in our work environment, that same dedication, precision and camaraderie of an elite sport team. We all play our part with excellence, and are willing to step outside of our role when necessary to block and tackle for each other, in the knowledge that everyone else is bringing the same dedication to the mission.
We believe that taking ownership, and focusing on the problems and solutions that we can control, regardless of how small they might be, is the most effective way to operate as individuals and as a team. We do not make excuses, and we take ownership at all levels, because taking ownership leads to clear steps for action and creates a great work environment of humility. We provide honest, clear, feedback from another, even when it might be easier not to do so.
Building a team of excellence, allows us to provide maximum freedom in the structure of our work. We have created systems for remote work since our company’s inception, offer flexible work hours, and limitless time off. We celebrate excellence at work, and in play, recognizing each team member's contribution, and financially supporting personal athletic goals. Interpersonal relationships are key to success and we provide formal and informal company gatherings and retreats throughout the year in beautiful locations.
As a Equal Opportunity Employer, Hammerhead will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.