Our mission is to unlock people’s athletic potential. We are driven by a belief that athletics broadly, and cycling in particular, have profound power to improve both individuals and society. The bicycle is practical, quiet, economical, doesn’t pollute, is entirely sustainable, and often the fastest vehicle in dense urban settings. This same vehicle is also an elite performance machine, providing deep satisfaction and community to athletes who push themselves day after day in the quiet pursuit of excellence. We firmly believe that each hour spent on the bike makes us better versions of ourselves.
Our company sits at the intersection of technology and athletics and we have begun with a contradiction we identified in cycling tech: its digital technology is decades behind its material technology. The bikes used at the highest end of the sport are at the absolute pinnacle of material science, while cycling computers, on the other hand, are generationally behind other consumer technologies. In the Karoo 2 we are building software and hardware that is cutting edge and original, rather than derivative, bringing the digital revolution to the bike, and completely altering the in ride experience.
With a sizable Karoo user base and a community that’s deeply passionate about the product, we have tremendous momentum behind us, and are hard at work. We announced the Karoo 2 in August 2020, and are setting a new standard with its launch in early 2021.
Hammerhead is headquartered in New York City. To date, Hammerhead has raised over $12M from top institutional investors including Primary Venture Partners, KB Partners, NEXT Ventures, Maveron and Courtside Ventures.
Global Director of Growth Marketing Role
Hammerhead is looking for a Global Director of Growth Marketing to develop and execute our global growth marketing strategy while guiding a best-in-class team. This person will help drive growth through paid marketing using rigorous customer and data analysis. The right candidate is a self-starter, is comfortable being hands-on with data, has direct experience running paid marketing programs globally and at-scale, and is interested in tackling customer acquisition and analysis in an omni-channel environment. Ultimately this role will be instrumental in bringing wellness through cycling to a larger audience.
In addition to leading a team, the Global Director of Growth Marketing will own the strategy and execution of paid social, search, affiliate, influencer, display, video, and podcast channels globally. We expect this individual to have the ability to determine our most efficient channels while maximizing spend. To be effective in the role, you will need to be willing to be hands-on but also have the ability to scale out and build the strategy.
As Global Director of Growth Marketing you will:
- Own Hammerhead’s performance marketing by developing plans to generate short-term new customer acquisition, and build a foundation for long-term growth
- Drive the strategy behind all existing traffic-driving channels, as well as identifying and launching new channels
- Serve as a true subject matter expert: represent Growth at integrated marketing meetings, leadership meetings, to our board of directors, and routinely educate stakeholders on best practices
- Partner closely with Finance and our COO on budget planning and forecasting, pacing and efficiency updates
- Own daily execution of 1-2 of our paid marketing channels
- Manage and grow a team of channel leads, guiding them to make informed optimizations and operate at a high level
- Collaborate with the Marketing team on tracking and measurement. You will be instrumental in evolving an actionable model to determine optimal spend allocation across media channels.
- Partner with Product, Operations, and eCommerce teams on tests to maximize conversion.
- Work closely with Creative and Brand teams on asset development for both performance and awareness campaigns. Partner closely with Brand teams and external agency partners to determine optimal media plans for awareness campaigns (which are generally meant to drive brand recognition in the marketplace, as opposed to immediate customer acquisition).
- Stay on the pulse of the ad tech landscape, maintain close relationships with leading tools and platforms, and represent Hammerhead at industry events
- Determine the optimal categories / products through which to acquire new customers, keeping in mind acquisition cost and future LTV.
Skills and Experience:
- 8+ years of experience in performance marketing preferably in a consumer /e-commerce environment
- 5+ years of leading high performing digital marketing teams
- Ability to analyze data, model and understand user problems to identify key opportunities for improvement
- Strong work ethic, intellectual curiosity, and commitment to continuous improvement
- Strong understanding of attribution analysis
- Passionate to make an impact through fitness, and specifically cycling
- SQL experience is a plus but not required
- SEO experience is a plus but not required
Working at Hammerhead:
On a mission to win We are here to build the best product in our category and have assembled a team of highly disciplined individuals dedicated to mastering our craft. We will only build products that we believe will be the best in their class, and are fully focused on making Karoo 2 the world’s best cycling computer. We are not interested in spreading ourselves thin to produce a wide range of products that won't push the boundaries of their categories.
Playing as a team We have a strong culture of athletics, with many members of the team being passionate cyclists. This provides a basis for excellence, as we seek to foster in our work environment, that same dedication, precision, and camaraderie of an elite sport team. We all play our part with excellence and are willing to step outside of our role when necessary to block and tackle for each other, in the knowledge that everyone else is bringing the same dedication to the mission.
Taking ownership We believe that taking ownership, and focusing on the problems and solutions that we can control, regardless of how small they might be, is the most effective way to operate as individuals and as a team. We do not make excuses, and we take ownership at all levels, because taking ownership leads to clear steps for action and creates a great work environment of humility. We provide honest, clear, feedback from another, even when it might be easier not to do so.
Flexibility Building a team of excellence, allows us to provide maximum freedom in the structure of our work. We have created systems for remote work since our company’s inception, offer flexible work hours, and limitless time off. We celebrate excellence at work, and in play, recognizing each team member's contribution, and financially supporting personal athletic goals. Interpersonal relationships are key to success and we provide formal and informal company gatherings and retreats throughout the year in beautiful locations.
Benefits In building a team of outstanding individuals, we offer extremely competitive salary and compensation packages, with unlimited vacation time. The health and wellness of our team is essential and we offer insurance packages that include free medical, dental, and vision plans. We also offer wellness perks with monthly fitness reimbursements and a yearly allowance to travel to a fitness event with colleagues. Finally working at Hammerhead means amazing cycling gear and other cool swag.
We are looking for: We seek those inspired by our vision to unlock peoples athletic potential, and eager to dive into the challenges of bringing extraordinary technology to life through all the uncertainties of product development and business. We are looking for individuals who are responsible, responsive, attentive, and kind, and a pleasure to work with. A pre-existing passion for athletics in general and cycling in particular is a huge plus.
As a Equal Opportunity Employer, Hammerhead will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.