Who We Are
Hammerhead sits at the intersection of technology and athletics and we began by identifying a contradiction in cycling tech: its digital technology is decades behind its material technology. The bikes used at the highest end of the sport are at the absolute pinnacle of material science, while cycling computers, on the other hand, are generationally behind other consumer technologies. In the Karoo 2 we are building software and hardware that is cutting edge and original, rather than derivative, bringing the digital revolution to the bike, and completely altering the in ride experience. Our mission is to unlock people’s athletic potential. We are driven by a belief that athletics broadly, and cycling in particular, have profound power to improve both individuals and society.
To date, Hammerhead has raised over $12M from top institutional investors including Primary Venture Partners, KB Partners, NEXT Ventures, Maveron and Courtside Ventures.
What we are looking for
We seek those inspired by our vision to unlock peoples athletic potential, and eager to dive into the challenges of bringing extraordinary technology to life through all the uncertainties of product development and business. We are looking for individuals who are responsible, responsive, attentive, and kind, and a pleasure to work with. A pre-existing passion for athletics in general and cycling in particular is a huge plus.
The full-stack software engineer is a member of an exceptional cross-functional Agile team, delivering new features, non-functional, and process improvements to our cycling computer solution. The role is expected to be able to effectively work in a number of the following areas with an interest in growing experience in areas not yet mastered.
- Android-based cycling computer
- React-based Web Dashboard
- Golang services layer
- Couchbase NOSQL database
- AWS deployments
- CI/CD infrastructure utilizing Docker
What You’ll Do
Develop Software for Our Cycling Computer System as an Agile Team Member
- Report to the VP of software development.
- Operate with a high degree of ownership and motivation to outcomes.
- Be curious and aspire to learn, impact the outcomes, and expand your capabilities over time.
- Be comfortable and effective working from home and ideally be able to work in a co-located space as warranted.
- Be a valuable member of a high-performing cross-functional, and self-organizing Agile team.
- Interface well with product management and design roles
Implement features of our cycling computer system
- Writing Android system software (applications and services) in Kotlin
- Writing cloud-based middleware/services in Golang.
- Work primarily on-site at Phoenixville PA office or from home
Success in this role looks like:
- Efficiently and consistently delivering development output that exceeds velocity achieved by an average developer.
- Willing to expand experience areas with management understanding that this requires ramping up regarding efficiency.
- Foster and contribute to positive team behaviors and interactions.
- Exhibiting a team orientation and ability to balance the overall team output against your own contribution. (Team over individual).
- Highly dependable and consistent.
- Able to work independently while asking for help in a timely fashion as needed.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in CS or similar.
- Experience as a software engineer, ideally having previously worked in a hardware/software environment.
- Depending on starting focus area, professional experience with
- Android development: Kotlin programming language, Frameworks (libraries): Rx-java & Mobius, Bluetooth/other RF.
- Cloud Technologies: Docker, Golang, AWS, CouchDb.
- Software Operations: Git, GitHub - (using pull request for reviews), Jenkins for build and deployment automation.
Nice to Have
- Familiar with Agile/Scrum process including use of supporting tools like Asana and Atlassian tools (Jira and Confluence).
- Background in cycling or endurance athletics.
Compensation and Perks
- Competitive compensation with equity
- Unlimited paid time off
- Medical, dental and vision insurance with options for no cost out of pocket plans
- Yearly travel allowance to be used on fitness events with colleagues
Working at Hammerhead:
On a mission to win
We are here to build the best product in our category, and have assembled a team of highly disciplined individuals dedicated to mastering our craft. We will only build products that we believe will be the best in their class, and are fully focused on making Karoo 2 the world’s best cycling computer. We are not interested in spreading ourselves thin to produce a wide range of products that won't push the boundaries of their categories.
Playing as a team
We have a strong culture of athletics, with many members of the team being passionate cyclists. This provides a basis for excellence, as we seek to foster in our work environment, that same dedication, precision and camaraderie of an elite sport team. We all play our part with excellence, and are willing to step outside of our role when necessary to block and tackle for each other, in the knowledge that everyone else is bringing the same dedication to the mission.
We believe that taking ownership, and focusing on the problems and solutions that we can control, regardless of how small they might be, is the most effective way to operate as individuals and as a team. We do not make excuses, and we take ownership at all levels, because taking ownership leads to clear steps for action and creates a great work environment of humility. We provide honest, clear, feedback from another, even when it might be easier not to do so.
Building a team of excellence, allows us to provide maximum freedom in the structure of our work. We have created systems for remote work since our company’s inception, offer flexible work hours, and limitless time off. We celebrate excellence at work, and in play, recognizing each team member's contribution, and financially supporting personal athletic goals. Interpersonal relationships are key to success and we provide formal and informal company gatherings and retreats throughout the year in beautiful locations.
As a Equal Opportunity Employer, Hammerhead will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.