Who We Are
Hammerhead sits at the intersection of technology and athletics and we began by identifying a contradiction in cycling tech: its digital technology is decades behind its material technology. The bikes used at the highest end of the sport are at the absolute pinnacle of material science, while cycling computers, on the other hand, are generationally behind other consumer technologies. In the Karoo 2 we are building software and hardware that is cutting edge and original, rather than derivative, bringing the digital revolution to the bike, and completely altering the in ride experience. Our mission is to unlock people’s athletic potential. We are driven by a belief that athletics broadly, and cycling in particular, have profound power to improve both individuals and society.
To date, Hammerhead has raised over $12M from top institutional investors including Primary Venture Partners, KB Partners, NEXT Ventures, Maveron and Courtside Ventures.
What we are looking for
We seek those inspired by our vision to unlock peoples athletic potential, and eager to dive into the challenges of bringing extraordinary technology to life through all the uncertainties of product development and business. We are looking for individuals who are responsible, responsive, attentive, and kind, and a pleasure to work with. A pre-existing passion for athletics in general and cycling in particular is a huge plus.
As a heavily technical product company, we know that the more we can do and build ourselves, the better chance we have to truly challenge the industry and deliver our vision. Hammerhead has learned a lot from each of our products and wants to continue on our path towards more in-house ownership and development. We are looking for a senior level engineer to own and drive our product architecture and specifications, contribute to vendor and partnership choices, and lead product development.
What You’ll Do
Ensure that Hammerhead is confident in our product design
- Deliver electrical designs that are optimized for product objectives including features, size, weight, cost, efficiency, and reliability constraints
- Lead component research, validation, and selection
- Build testing procedures for passive and active effects of the system under various operational conditions (simulation and experimental)
- Own design for performance and reliability through product life-cycle including design and execution of performance tests, reliability tests, and field failure analysis
Take control of our electrical engineering timelines so we can meet product launch objectives
- Work with the Lead Program Manager to proactively prevent any hardware development and manufacturing bottlenecks with good design, clear documentation, and planning
- Identify, escalate, and resolve unexpected issues and challenges quickly and efficiently
- Request resources needed to meet development timelines for electrical engineering projects
- Ensure that Hammerhead is able to patent any novel concepts that are designed in partnership with our mechanical and industrial design teams
- Set up, manage, and maintain CAD, BOM, and PLM systems and with meticulous organization and best practices
- Actively participate in reviews of architecture, DFM, DFMA, DFMEA, FEA
- Manage stakeholders (vendors, consultants, etc) in EE projects
Build in-house capability to design electrical systems and sub-assemblies that are ready for manufacturing
- Conduct design review of all Electrical CAD stack up produced by vendors
- Design, build and manage hardware reliability testing for electrical systems and subsystems
- Review and validate manufacturing samples of components
- Design and implement hardware jigs or fixtures for manufacturing assembly and testing
Success in this role looks like:
- Hammerhead can prototype and do early stage development in-house
- Hammerhead can confidently approach OEM’s or ODM’s with our new products
- Hammerhead can successfully design, validate and manufacture electrical parts that are needed in our final products
- Hammerhead has transparency and control of the costs of electrical parts and systems
What You’ll Need
- 8+ years experience designing consumer or industrial hardware products
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering or related degrees. MS preferred.
- Skilled in schematic and layout design, with experience integrating with ME CAD
- Skilled in communicating electrical engineering design principles to others (employees, vendors, etc) so that you can act as design authority for all aspects of product electrical design.
- Experience in Android device design or embedded Linux computer design.
- Comfortable identifying risks in new product development that may manifest as schedule or cost creep or create quality or manufacturability problems.
- Experienced in interfacing with design and manufacturing vendors and communicating design requirements clearly to non-native english speakers.
- Experience with network to device design experience in cell phones or similar products
- Effective communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Independently capable of prioritizing work and project precedence.
- Detail oriented and meticulous in your approach and application of engineering principles.
- Ability to adapt your role and learn new skills based on changing needs and challenges
- Experience navigating projects through the FCC and CE certification process
Nice to Have:
- Experience designing products using SoC's (Qualcomm, Mediatek, etc.)
- Experience with power constrained systems and optimization of Linux / Android
- Expertise in GNSS, Cellular, WiFi, BTLE (2.4Ghz) radios and performance tuning
Compensation and Perks
- Competitive compensation with equity
- Unlimited paid time off
- Medical, dental and vision insurance with options for no cost out of pocket plans
- Yearly travel allowance to be used on fitness events with colleagues
Working at Hammerhead:
On a mission to win
We are here to build the best product in our category, and have assembled a team of highly disciplined individuals dedicated to mastering our craft. We will only build products that we believe will be the best in their class, and are fully focused on making Karoo 2 the world’s best cycling computer. We are not interested in spreading ourselves thin to produce a wide range of products that won't push the boundaries of their categories.
Playing as a team
We have a strong culture of athletics, with many members of the team being passionate cyclists. This provides a basis for excellence, as we seek to foster in our work environment, that same dedication, precision and camaraderie of an elite sport team. We all play our part with excellence, and are willing to step outside of our role when necessary to block and tackle for each other, in the knowledge that everyone else is bringing the same dedication to the mission.
We believe that taking ownership, and focusing on the problems and solutions that we can control, regardless of how small they might be, is the most effective way to operate as individuals and as a team. We do not make excuses, and we take ownership at all levels, because taking ownership leads to clear steps for action and creates a great work environment of humility. We provide honest, clear, feedback from another, even when it might be easier not to do so.
Building a team of excellence, allows us to provide maximum freedom in the structure of our work. We have created systems for remote work since our company’s inception, offer flexible work hours, and limitless time off. We celebrate excellence at work, and in play, recognizing each team member's contribution, and financially supporting personal athletic goals. Interpersonal relationships are key to success and we provide formal and informal company gatherings and retreats throughout the year in beautiful locations.
As a Equal Opportunity Employer, Hammerhead will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.