Our mission is to unlock people’s athletic potential. We are driven by a belief that athletics broadly, and cycling in particular, have profound power to improve both individuals and society. The bicycle is practical, quiet, economical, doesn’t pollute, is entirely sustainable, and often the fastest vehicle in dense urban settings. This same vehicle is also an elite performance machine, providing deep satisfaction and community to athletes who push themselves day after day in the quiet pursuit of excellence. We firmly believe that each hour spent on the bike makes us better versions of ourselves.
Our company sits at the intersection of technology and athletics and we have begun with a contradiction we identified in cycling tech: its digital technology is decades behind its material technology. The bikes used at the highest end of the sport are at the absolute pinnacle of material science, while cycling computers, on the other hand, are generationally behind other consumer technologies. In the Karoo 2 we are building software and hardware that is cutting edge and original, rather than derivative, bringing the digital revolution to the bike, and completely altering the in ride experience.
With a sizable Karoo user base and a community that’s deeply passionate about the product, we have tremendous momentum behind us, and are hard at work. We announced the Karoo 2 in August, and it will set a new standard when it launches at the end of 2020.
The Head of People Role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic, driven and resourceful Head of People to build the People Operations and Talent Acquisition functions. As first People hire, you’ll develop our people and recruiting strategy and build a high-performing People team, working closely with the Executive team. We are in growth mode, which means we need someone with the drive and passion to execute and who is comfortable moving from high level strategy to working “in the weeds” seamlessly.
As Head of People you will:
- Build the People and Talent Acquisition strategy for the company
- Work with Executive team and Founders to refine the values that will make Hammerhead an exceptional place to work
- Build a strong team of recruiters and HR generalists
- Identify and track the key metrics to ensure our success in attracting and retaining best talent
- Develop with Executive team and Founders our diversity and inclusion strategy
- Develop and implement people strategies and solutions in areas including performance management, employee engagement and more
- Lead the implementation and inculcation of our values within the team so that Hammerhead indeed becomes the exceptional place to work that we envisage
- Revamp our on-boarding process to flow seamlessly from the recruiting process and provide effective and efficient ramp up for new hires
- Handle general employee relations escalations and advise outside counsel when needed
- Build and execute a recruiting marketing strategy
- Develop a recruiting strategy to attract exceptional talent
- Implement a strong recruiting process that provides best-class experience for our candidates, such that even those that we do not hire share with others how great the experience was.
- Support our hiring managers in the hiring process for key roles, by sourcing candidates and managing communications with them
- Develop a relationship through the interview process with candidates to be able to negotiate and close offers, and serve as a familiar resource for them after they begin
Who we need for this role:
- 8+ years combined experience in Recruiting and People Operations, with at least 2 years of experience in each function
- Experience managing a team of at least 2 people
- Experience hiring and terminating people in a variety of conditions
- Experience driving D&I initiatives
- Experience working with Executive teams directly
- Experience managing external partners (including external legal counsel, government agencies, PEO, etc)
- Experience working in a high-growth environment
Required Skills and Attributes:
- Very strong communicator, across all levels of the organization and externally (Board, Legal, etc)
- Strong empathy. Ability to set up strong relationships across the company
- Can be autonomous and move fast in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to set a strong performance-based environment
- Strong ability to work cross-functionally
- Passion for cycling or fitness
- Experience working in a Consumer Tech company
- Have experienced the transition from 25 to 50 to 100 to 200+ people
- Experience working with teams across multiple regions, time zones and regulations
- Experience working with Greenhouse and JustWorks.
Working at Hammerhead:
On a mission to win
We are here to build the best product in our category, and have assembled a team of highly disciplined individuals dedicated to mastering our craft. We will only build products that we believe will be the best in their class, and are fully focused on making Karoo 2 the world’s best cycling computer. We are not interested in spreading ourselves thin to produce a wide range of products that won't push the boundaries of their categories.
Playing as a team
We have a strong culture of athletics, with many members of the team being passionate cyclists. This provides a basis for excellence, as we seek to foster in our work environment, that same dedication, precision and camaraderie of an elite sport team. We all play our part with excellence, and are willing to step outside of our role when necessary to block and tackle for each other, in the knowledge that everyone else is bringing the same dedication to the mission.
We believe that taking ownership, and focusing on the problems and solutions that we can control, regardless of how small they might be, is the most effective way to operate as individuals and as a team. We do not make excuses, and we take ownership at all levels, because taking ownership leads to clear steps for action and creates a great work environment of humility. We provide honest, clear, feedback from another, even when it might be easier not to do so.
Building a team of excellence, allows us to provide maximum freedom in the structure of our work. We have created systems for remote work since our company’s inception, offer flexible work hours, and limitless time off. We celebrate excellence at work, and in play, recognizing each team member's contribution, and financially supporting personal athletic goals. Interpersonal relationships are key to success and we provide formal and informal company gatherings and retreats throughout the year in beautiful locations.
We are looking for:
We seek those inspired by our vision to unlock peoples athletic potential, and eager to dive into the challenges of bringing extraordinary technology to life through all the uncertainties of product development and business. We are looking for individuals who are responsible, responsive, attentive, and kind, and a pleasure to work with. A pre-existing passion for athletics in general and cycling in particular is a huge plus.
As a Equal Opportunity Employer, Hammerhead will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.