Who We Are
Hammerhead sits at the intersection of technology and athletics and we began by identifying a contradiction in cycling tech: its digital technology is decades behind its material technology. The bikes used at the highest end of the sport are at the absolute pinnacle of material science, while cycling computers, on the other hand, are generationally behind other consumer technologies. In the Karoo 2 we are building software and hardware that is cutting edge and original, rather than derivative, bringing the digital revolution to the bike, and completely altering the in ride experience. Our mission is to unlock people’s athletic potential. We are driven by a belief that athletics broadly, and cycling in particular, have profound power to improve both individuals and society.
To date, Hammerhead has raised over $12M from top institutional investors including Primary Venture Partners, KB Partners, NEXT Ventures, Maveron and Courtside Ventures.
What we are looking for
We seek those inspired by our vision to unlock peoples athletic potential, and eager to dive into the challenges of bringing extraordinary technology to life through all the uncertainties of product development and business. We are looking for individuals who are responsible, responsive, attentive, and kind, and a pleasure to work with. A pre-existing passion for athletics in general and cycling in particular is a huge plus.
This internship is a chance to join a growing startup at the most exciting stage with the opportunity to work on popular products while learning and implementing real-world application of design practices. You will join a team that is designing the core hardware for software services and engaged customers.
What You’ll Do
- Learn about real-world application of design practices from concept development through production, and product launch.
- Collaborate in qualitative fieldwork, customer discover, and ideation sessions
- Build prototypes and mockups of your concepts
- Help to refine concepts, develop 3D CAD, and build drawing packages for vendors
- Collaborate on design reviews and decision making, articulating your point of view
- Have ownership of your projects
What You’ll Need
- A portfolio that shows breadth, attention to detail, technical prowess, beauty, and innovation
- Exceptional sketching and conceptualization skills
- A hands on approach to design, comfortable fabricating your prototypes in the shop and using various rapid prototyping methods to achieve the desired result
- Highly advanced 3D modeling skills including surfacing and large assembly management (Solidworks preferred)
- Advanced 2D presentation (Adobe CS) and rendering (Keyshot) skills
- Pursuing a degree in Industrial Design or closely related field and have completed at least 3 years of study, or you are a recent grad
- Understanding of materials and manufacturing processes and their corresponding design constraints
- Willingness to support all design staff (ID, engineering, graphic, and product)
- Exemplary communications skills
- Comfortable taking ownership of your projects and working in a fast paced startup environment
- Experience with remote work
- Full time, paid internship
- San Francisco Bay Area, At home primary place of work
- Remote position but may involve in-person work, safety conditions permitting
- Some travel may be necessary - dependent on Covid safety conditions
- You must be authorized to work in the United States
Compensation and Perks
- Competitive compensation with equity
- Unlimited paid time off
- Medical, dental and vision insurance with options for no cost out of pocket plans
- Yearly travel allowance to be used on fitness events with colleagues
Working at Hammerhead:
On a mission to win
We are here to build the best product in our category, and have assembled a team of highly disciplined individuals dedicated to mastering our craft. We will only build products that we believe will be the best in their class, and are fully focused on making Karoo 2 the world’s best cycling computer. We are not interested in spreading ourselves thin to produce a wide range of products that won't push the boundaries of their categories.
Playing as a team
We have a strong culture of athletics, with many members of the team being passionate cyclists. This provides a basis for excellence, as we seek to foster in our work environment, that same dedication, precision and camaraderie of an elite sport team. We all play our part with excellence, and are willing to step outside of our role when necessary to block and tackle for each other, in the knowledge that everyone else is bringing the same dedication to the mission.
We believe that taking ownership, and focusing on the problems and solutions that we can control, regardless of how small they might be, is the most effective way to operate as individuals and as a team. We do not make excuses, and we take ownership at all levels, because taking ownership leads to clear steps for action and creates a great work environment of humility. We provide honest, clear, feedback from another, even when it might be easier not to do so.
Building a team of excellence, allows us to provide maximum freedom in the structure of our work. We have created systems for remote work since our company’s inception, offer flexible work hours, and limitless time off. We celebrate excellence at work, and in play, recognizing each team member's contribution, and financially supporting personal athletic goals. Interpersonal relationships are key to success and we provide formal and informal company gatherings and retreats throughout the year in beautiful locations.
As a Equal Opportunity Employer, Hammerhead will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.