Who We Are
Hammerhead sits at the intersection of technology and athletics and we began by identifying a contradiction in cycling tech: its digital technology is decades behind its material technology. The bikes used at the highest end of the sport are at the absolute pinnacle of material science, while cycling computers, on the other hand, are generationally behind other consumer technologies. In the Karoo 2 we are building software and hardware that is cutting edge and original, rather than derivative, bringing the digital revolution to the bike, and completely altering the in ride experience. Our mission is to unlock people’s athletic potential. We are driven by a belief that athletics broadly, and cycling in particular, have profound power to improve both individuals and society.
To date, Hammerhead has raised over $12M from top institutional investors including Primary Venture Partners, KB Partners, NEXT Ventures, Maveron and Courtside Ventures.
What we are looking for
We seek those inspired by our vision to unlock peoples athletic potential, and eager to dive into the challenges of bringing extraordinary technology to life through all the uncertainties of product development and business. We are looking for individuals who are responsible, responsive, attentive, and kind, and a pleasure to work with. A pre-existing passion for athletics in general and cycling in particular is a huge plus.
We are looking for a senior level engineer to own and drive our product architecture and specifications, contribute to vendor and partnership choices, and lead product development. You should be familiar with factories, international supplier relationships, and working past language barriers to communicate design intent. You’ll have a lot of autonomy and responsibility as you integrate into our core engineering team and lead within a growing hardware engineering department.
What You’ll Do
Ensure that Hammerhead is confident in our product design
- Act as design authority for all aspects of product mechanical design
- Deliver mechanical designs that are optimized for product objectives including features, size, weight, cost, efficiency and reliability constraints
- Lead materials and component research and selection
- Build testing procedures for static and dynamic effects of the system under various environmental conditions (simulation and experimental)
- Own design for performance and reliability through product life-cycle including design and execution of performance tests, reliability tests, and field failure analysis
Design mechanical parts and sub-assemblies that are ready for manufacturing
- Maintain high-quality documentation for manufacturing hand-off
- Conduct design review of all mechanical CAD stackups produced by vendors
- Design, build and manage hardware reliability testing for mechanical system and subsystems
- Review manufacturing samples of components
- Design and implementation of any Hammerhead-specific hardware jigs for manufacturing assembly and testing
Take control of our mechanical engineering timelines so we can meet product launch objectives
- Work with the Lead Program Manager to proactively identify and resolve any hardware development or manufacturing bottlenecks with good design, clear documentation, and planning
- Request resources needed to meet development timelines for mechanical engineering projects
- Ensure that Hammerhead is able to patent any novel concepts that are designed in partnership with our electrical and industrial design teams
- Set up, manage, and maintain CAD, BOM, and PLM systems with best practices
- Actively participate in reviews of architecture, DFM, DFMA, DFMEA, FEA
- Manage stakeholders (vendors, consultants, etc) in ME projects
Success in this role looks like:
- Hammerhead can prototype and do early stage development in-house
- Hammerhead can successfully design, validate and manufacture electrical parts that are needed in our final products
- Hammerhead can confidently approach OEM’s or ODM’s with our new product designs
- Hammerhead has transparency and control of the costs of mechanical parts and systems
What You’ll Need
- 5+ years experience designing consumer hardware products, ideally for use outdoors
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, or related.
- Fluency in Solidworks including surface modeling and managing large assemblies
- You must be skilled with FEA simulations tools
- Ability to manage CAD and PLM systems essential
- Experience with the full cycle of Prototyping, EVT, DVT, and Mass production phases of product development
- Ability to manage configuration control and change management
- Experience in interfacing with outside design contractors
- Exemplary written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced startup environment
- Effective stakeholder management skills.
- Independently capability of prioritizing work and project precedence.
- Detail oriented and meticulous in your approach and application of engineering principles.
- The ability to adapt your role and learn new skills based on changing needs and challenges
- Experience navigating projects through manufacturing bring-up
Nice To Have:
- Fluency in Mandarin
- Materials science and plastics engineering experience
- Matlab and ANSYS for analysis
- Experience with other CAD tools apart from Solidworks
- Experience with IPX products that require design to prevent ingress
- Plastics stress, fatigue and design for manufacturing experience
- Experience with consumer electronics device design including those with capacitive touchscreens, buttons, antennas and IPX waterproofing.
- Regular visits to China Contract Manufacturers
- Ability to travel internationally often (up to 15% per year), including travel to manufacturing facilities in China, Taiwan, and elsewhere
Compensation and Perks
- Competitive compensation with equity
- Unlimited paid time off
- Medical, dental and vision insurance with options for no cost out of pocket plans
- Yearly travel allowance to be used on fitness events with colleagues
Working at Hammerhead:
On a mission to win
We are here to build the best product in our category, and have assembled a team of highly disciplined individuals dedicated to mastering our craft. We will only build products that we believe will be the best in their class, and are fully focused on making Karoo 2 the world’s best cycling computer. We are not interested in spreading ourselves thin to produce a wide range of products that won't push the boundaries of their categories.
Playing as a team
We have a strong culture of athletics, with many members of the team being passionate cyclists. This provides a basis for excellence, as we seek to foster in our work environment, that same dedication, precision and camaraderie of an elite sport team. We all play our part with excellence, and are willing to step outside of our role when necessary to block and tackle for each other, in the knowledge that everyone else is bringing the same dedication to the mission.
We believe that taking ownership, and focusing on the problems and solutions that we can control, regardless of how small they might be, is the most effective way to operate as individuals and as a team. We do not make excuses, and we take ownership at all levels, because taking ownership leads to clear steps for action and creates a great work environment of humility. We provide honest, clear, feedback from another, even when it might be easier not to do so.
Building a team of excellence, allows us to provide maximum freedom in the structure of our work. We have created systems for remote work since our company’s inception, offer flexible work hours, and limitless time off. We celebrate excellence at work, and in play, recognizing each team member's contribution, and financially supporting personal athletic goals. Interpersonal relationships are key to success and we provide formal and informal company gatherings and retreats throughout the year in beautiful locations.
As a Equal Opportunity Employer, Hammerhead will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.