Are you our next Mobile Engineering Manager? As a supporting function, the Tech Team have a practical application and operate to the Agile framework to deliver highly scalable user experiences to our customers and to the rest of the business through our mobile applications, data pipelines internal applications and our Ecommerce presence. Alongside that, as a business founded in technology, we drive innovation and contribute back to the communities we are part of, including the open source software community. Every member of the Engineering team is an ambassador for Gymshark as a Tech company.
In your role as an engineering manager you will take ownership of the codebases and delivery mechanisms involved in delivering the requirements of the business and, working with Scrum masters, ensure the team lives both Gymshark and agile values as well as engineering principles and expected standards day to day.
You will manage and continually build the capability of and manage a small to medium team of mobile software engineers instilling best practice in solving engineering problems and influence self-organisation within the sprint team, to ensure team ownership and accountability for committed work. You will be a people leader, supporting your team and building upon our culture to foster a happy, highly productive team that innovate and challenge the norm.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
Management and Support:
- Makes significant contribution to the development of our mobile applications and codebases through coaching and leading a team of senior, midweight and junior engineers.
- Works independently in delivering business and departmental requirements through our applications in expected timeframes and to standards.
- Makes significant improvements to internal processes to ensure projects are delivered to deadlines, and therefore budgets.
- Leads, manages and coaches a team of 6-8 senior, midweight and junior software engineers and ultimately is the single point of decision for their team.
- Builds the capability of senior engineers to assist you to build a highly effective team, capable of handling the complexities and challenges that come from supporting a global, fast-growth organisation.
- Actively encourages process improvement on a sprint-by-sprint basis through increased team velocity and process changes to the betterment of the team.
- Assists in the recruitment process, and expansion of the development team where required, with support from Tech leadership and the people team.
- Ensure the teams approach to solutions and architecture is strategically the right solution for the business and you encourage a group decision.
- Contributes to the engineering strategy applied by Tech leaders to our applications.
- Strengthens a cross-functional and collaborative environment across product, design and engineering and coaches an Agile approach to our product development.
- Understands and anticipates the need for change, diagnose the underlying issues and build the case for change to Tech leadership.
- Contributes to and manages processes that support the engineering strategy set by tech leaders.
- Provides consulting and coaching to the senior engineers in order to support the business’ vision, mission, and overall objectives.
- Works closely with other engineering managers to form a ‘horizontal’ team aligning on general engineering approach and delivery requirements.
- Will collaborate with product teams and key stakeholders to ensure that expectations are managed, delivering projects as required as well as ensuring that key deliverables are met within the specified timelines.
- Works to ensure project work is progressing within agreed timelines and that the team’s autonomy is maintained while aligning with the aims of the business.
- Drives consistency of approach across the Tech team to present a united approach to the rest of the business.
- Works collaboratively with Tech colleagues to mediate and remove obstacles on behalf of the sprint team to ensure sprints are successful.
- Communicating processes, and policies adhered to within software engineering to the wider business where necessary.
Data-Driven Decision Making:
- Uses data and analytics to measure the effectiveness of tools and understand the landscape for further improvement.
- Continuously drives improvements in tools and policies through external market trends, insight and internal best practice.
- Contributes to a united data approach within the business by ensuring software developed across Tech contributes to a united master dataset.
Knowledge and Opportunity:
- Maintains a clear and detailed knowledge of the industry trends, best practices, and innovation ensuring that we remain a world leader in our field and actively build Gymshark as a technology brand.
- Strives to monitor and challenge existing Tech and software engineering processes to continually improve our output in both software engineering and the wider Tech team.
- Drives ideation, problem solving and innovation happening within the software engineering team.
- Participates in relevant projects, championing as appropriate Gymshark’s reputation as a world class organisation and employer of choice.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Must be able to demonstrate extensive experience in clientside software engineering preferably with a considerable number of those in a mobile engineering role.
- Experience in leading engineering teams in a similar capacity.
- Experience in the recruitment and line management of engineers or have an appetite to upskill in this area.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Agile practices and the Scrum Framework and its application and delivery.
- Extensive experience with version control systems and centralised code management.
- Must be expert in one of the following mobile engineering languages; Swift, Java or Kotlin.
- Intimate knowledge of the mobile development platforms and associated systems (such as App stores, certification processes, hardware and operating system SDKs, package management etc).
- Must have a demonstrable knowledge of CI/CD and build pipelines for client side software.
- Should have experience in influencing departmental heads into the adoption of ultimately beneficial Tech processes and strategy.
- Must be capable of tailoring even the most complex messages for different audiences in a manner appropriate to the audience.
- Must be self-motivated, be proactive going beyond the call of duty, have a keen eye for detail, be result-oriented, and have an ability to work stay calm under pressure and in uncertainty inspiring the same in the team.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with both Tech colleagues and the wider business, translating complex technical concepts into simple terms where required.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other team members to deliver immediate tasks.
- Strong project management, Time management and prioritisation skills.
- The ability to thrive, with minimum level of supervision, in a risk-taking, fast paced environment
- Agile to change and pragmatic, you'll be a collaborative team player and be comfortable working in a high pressure, fast paced environment where identifying needs, providing solutions and adding value is a prerequisite
- Commercial Awareness and a creative problem solver with the ability to think laterally and understand the cost and value drivers within a competitive business environment
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas
- First class interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills.
- Keep up to date with external trends and best practice in mobile engineering, innovation and client-side software more broadly.
WE HIRE PEOPLE.
Real-life humans, each with their own unique set of thoughts, beliefs, cultures and identities with a background and body that is completely individual. Together, as unique individuals, we make Gymshark stronger.
If you’re reading this, you’re probably applying for or considering applying for a job with us, and we want you to know that Gymshark is an equal opportunity employer. For us, that means we always, and will always, strive to be as inclusive as possible in all aspects of employment and that we do not, and will not, tolerate discrimination of any kind.
We’re here to unite the conditioning community. We believe that putting the sweat in today, prepares us for tomorrow. So, we give people the tools they need to reach further, go faster, be stronger. We celebrate those who show up – for themselves – to be their physical or mental best, whatever that means for them. It’s what we want for our community, and our team. A team that’s growing rapidly around the world. A collective of talented individuals working together to invent Gymshark’s future. Our plans are ambitious, and we’re looking for people who want to join us for the ride – our growth will be your growth.
🙌 Competitive ‘Win Together, Lose Together’ Bonus
🩺 Full private medical insurance with no excess for employees
🏖 25 days holidays + your birthday and all the Bank Holidays which can be substituted and taken whenever you want.
💻 A truly Flexible Working Culture
👥 A collaborative, creative and inspiring working environment
💰 Employer pension contributions up to 7%
🤩 Life Assurance at four times your basic salary
🦈 50% Gymshark Discount
🎁 Gymshark Gift Card for each year of service
🥇 Financial, Physical and Mental Wellbeing Support
📚 Great Training and Learning Resources
🖥 Choice of hardware and access to the best software
🤒 Paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell
🧸 Very Generous Family Leave package – we support you extending your family
🍎 Refuel - Healthy fresh food at GSHQ
🏋️♂️ Lifting Club (LC) Gym Membership
👉 Free monthly massages
💈 Beauty and Barber facilities
🚘 Free on-site parking