Gusto has physical office spaces in Denver, San Francisco, and New York City. All Gusto roles posted in these metro areas come with the expectation of working from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week (or more depending on role). The same office expectations apply to all Symmetry roles, Gusto’s subsidiary, whose physical office is in Scottsdale.
Note: The San Francisco office expectations encompass both the San Francisco and San Jose metro areas.
When approved to work from a location other than a Gusto office, a secure, reliable, and consistent internet connection is required.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Symmetry Software is now part of Gusto. Symmetry is the payroll infrastructure for software & payroll platforms powering the paychecks of over 64 million workers each year. Our fully integrated suite of payroll tax APIs and software tools allows companies to solve tax compliance issues and build applications across the entirety of the payroll process.
Symmetry Software is looking for a Head of Payroll Tax Compliance to empower the Tax Research team, produce research and insights to continuously improve product accuracy and compliance, and position Symmetry as a thought leader within and beyond the payroll industry.
The Tax Research team at Symmetry ensures our products are up to date on all payroll tax rules and regulations. The team generates data and insights that power Symmetry’s products and forward thinking thought leadership, allowing us to serve as a trusted expert and advisor to our clients for building their own payroll-related products and increasing their tax compliance. The Head of Payroll Tax Compliance will build relationships and partnerships with federal, state, and local taxing authorities to represent the needs of Symmetry, our clients, and our clients’ employees while identifying opportunities to advance Symmetry’s ability to address industry trends within our products and services.
The perfect candidate is excited about the opportunity to set a new strategy to take our Tax Research team to new heights, execute on key projects yourself by getting in the weeds, building and enriching key industry partnerships, and people development. It’s a unique opportunity to be both a leader at the company and a builder. Your key cross-functional stakeholders are Product, Engineering, Support, and Marketing. You will report to the Head of Symmetry.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Strategic direction
- Set short and long term strategy for the Tax Research team
- Partner with Marketing on a content strategy to continue Symmetry’s forward thinking thought leadership
- Develop a deep understanding of industry trends and regulatory changes; translate that into actionable insights for Symmetry and its clients
- Cross-functional execution
- Drive the year-end tax change process, ensuring that our products are up-to-date on accuracy and compliance in a comprehensive and efficient manner
- Enable internal teams (e.g., Support, Engineering) with functional knowledge to build better products and serve client questions/needs
- Identify and implement workflow and process improvements to drive efficiencies and automation for the Tax Research team
- Work in close partnership across a range of stakeholders including Product, Engineering, Support, and Marketing
- Industry partnerships
- Create a strategy to guide our industry partnerships, including state and local agencies
- Build new and manage existing partnerships to grow Symmetry’s influence
- Develop a deep understanding of our partners pain points and needs to inform product roadmap opportunities
- Team and people development
- Lead and build a team of effective and high-performing tax and compliance researchers
- Establish KPIs to measure success of the team and drive accountability
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Payroll tax expertise: 10+ years of experience related to payroll tax and payroll. Canadian and/or international payroll/tax experience is a plus. You are a Subject Matter Expert with in-depth knowledge of aspects of payroll/payroll tax compliance, processes and procedure
- Certifications: Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
- Impeccable execution: You have a track record of executing and delivering high quality work against complexities and limited resources. You’re able to partner strongly with cross-functional teams to drive results. Other leaders and teammates love collaborating with you.
- Strong project management skills: You have impressive time management skills and ability to juggle multiple projects/tasks with multiple stakeholders while hitting deadlines on time with sensitive projects. You’re proactive and have a positive, service-oriented mentality.
- Communicates effectively: Strong communication and presentation skills, ability to distill complex, technical payroll tax jargon into everyday language to different audiences. You’re able to document business rules and technical processes into logical steps, structures and diagrams
- Management excellence: You have a history of developing the careers of your team members. You’ve developed high-performing, representative talent and inclusive teams
- Strategic thinker: You’re able to combine client and partner feedback, industry opportunities, internal needs to build a compelling and bold tax research vision and strategy for your cross-functional partners and team. An inquisitive attitude on how we can challenge the status quo and leverage tax research to drive business goals
- Familiarity with product development process and software tools: Because many of the tax research and insights are built into our products, you must be able to partner effectively with the Product and Engineering teams and their cadence and workflows. For example: Agile and scrum principles, JIRA, Confluence.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $170,000/yr to $215,000/yr in Scottsdale. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate location, experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Should you determine a reasonable accommodation is needed at any point during your candidate journey, please reach out to your recruiting partner.