Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We’re hiring engineers to join Design Systems and work on systems empowering customer-facing products, developing features and iterating across our platform to help define the customer journey at Gusto. Our main goal in these teams is to keep our customers happy and to deliver a consistently great experience across all of our products.
About the Team
The Design Systems team is a group of folks whose primary goal is to empower internal teams to build high-quality and cohesive UI/UX with as much efficiency as possible. We do so by modularizing (creating reusable React components) and upgrading the quality of our front-end.
What’s fascinating about our team is that we’re not just Engineers! Half of our team are Designers who know a thing or two about development. Our broad expertise makes us extremely cross-functional and our projects get directly consumed by the entire product.
If you’re an engineer that respects Design, is interested in being at the intersection of Design and Engineering, and wish to influence the product, you’ll want to join our team!
- Our Engineering Culture and Values
- How We Built a Service-Driven Team
- Our Diversity Goals and Efforts
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Build reusable components for our component library – Workbench
- Enable our consumers by writing consumer-friendly design-system documentation
- Build tooling for our design system & our core product
- Develop tools to ensure that the quality, performance, and accessibility of Gusto’s reusable components continuously improve
- Coordinate across teams in building accessible, modular, performant frontend experiences
- Create and improve on tools for developing performant, accessible experiences for our customers
- Make architectural improvements to Gusto’s frontend infrastructure
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 6+ years of technical experience in a frontend engineering role
- Strong history of cross-functional collaboration with Design and/or other non-technical teams
- Experience in building UI components that are modular, composable, flexible, maintainable, and well-documented
- Appreciation for a collaborative, test-driven environment
- Experience turning wireframes and mockups into responsive, accessible, tested code
- Well-structured, easily maintainable, well-documented code that balances beauty and pragmatism
- Passionate about creating inclusive, accessible experiences for everyone
- Familiar with emerging trends in frontend web application development, including the various approaches to styling (CSS Modules, CSS-in-JS, Sass, etc.), component libraries (Material UI, Carbon, Polaris, and Lightning), accessibility tooling (aXe, Lighthouse), and observability (RUM, Synthetic Testing)
- Experience implementing and validating accessibility success criteria for reusable components
- Experience contributing to, or working on, a Design System
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $157,000 - $230,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $202,000 - $258,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home with us.
Our company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Our company considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.