Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We are building our Internal Communications team at Gusto and are looking for an experienced communicator to build and scale our internal communications function for our fast-growing company.
As an Internal Communicator at Gusto, you will be responsible for helping our more than 2,500 Gusties stay informed, feel connected and engaged, and share a sense of purpose. Your role will be critical in scaling our culture and values as we continue to grow. Your goal will be to increase employee engagement, partner on our company-wide internal communication framework, develop and manage our communications channels, and connect our company strategy and narrative to Gusto-wide initiatives. You’re able to lead through influence and are able to see around corners to help us continue scaling successfully. You will serve as a trusted advisor to our senior leaders and report to the Head of Internal Communications. In this role, you’ll work closely on communications with all of Gusto’s leaders, including frequent interactions with our Chief People Officer. You’ll be a confidante, sounding board, and thought partner to her and many members of Gusto’s People and broader leadership teams.
Internal comms is about both empathy and understanding; you should have an extraordinary ear for language and tone, acumen for moments of storytelling and moments of concision, and a business-focused style that resonates with a data-informed team. We’re looking for a candidate who can fluidly understand tech industry terms and communicate using universally understood language; a bridge between the tech and non-tech worlds.
Internal comms is also about strategy, and the ideal candidate brings a great deal of strategic acumen to this role. This leader will be instrumental in helping to ensure Gusto’s strategy is effectively communicated to Gusties and aligned across the organization and will be opinionated about driving communications programs and channels to support strong alignment and engagement.
Most of all, you fundamentally believe that to be great at internal communications, you must be able to capture what is unique about a specific company and translate those nuances into the connective tissue of an organization.
What it is like to Work with Gusto
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Be part of a team of communications professionals who support business unit, company-wide, people/culture, and executive communications
- Work with Gusto’s Chief People Officer, CEO Team, and executive team to ensure our strategy is clearly communicated to our employees and aligned across the organization
- Support company-wide communications processes and manage company communications channels
- Manage our company internal communications cadence and editorial calendar.
- Work across the business to discover, curate, and share compelling stories about our company, our product, our technology, and our people
- Partner closely with our external communications and PR team to ensure exquisite alignment of messaging and a holistic communications approach on all internal and external communications
- Work closely with Gusto leaders to support communications to their organizations
- Help engage Gusties across multiple Homebases and ensure the scale of our communications as our footprint grow.
- Make recommendations and craft guidelines around how we leverage various internal communications tools and forums (team meetings, Slack, memos, email, etc) and ground research in qualitative and quantitative data
- Identify opportunities to amplify content and news across various channels and keep your finger on the pulse of internal chatter, as well as local, industry, and competitor news
- Coordinate multiple streams of information, weaving complex ideas into a story that can be easily understood by a diverse internal audience
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 7+ years of communications experience – ideally focused on internal communications, executive communications, public relations, and/or Chief of Staff roles
- High emotional intelligence, matched with the ability to execute
- An innovative approach to developing success metrics and demonstrated ability to influence successful outcomes
- Ability to build collaborative working relationships with staff at all levels of the organization and develop strong professional relationships and networks externally
- Exceptional written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Experience working with and influencing senior leaders
- Experience working for a high-growth, scaling tech company
- Experience working with an employee base distributed across multiple locations
- Nice to have: people management experience - including hiring and scaling a communications team
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $107,000 - $132,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $130,000 - $161,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home with us.
Our company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Our company considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.