Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Gusto acquired Ardius in 2021 to help small and medium sized businesses and their accountants access tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax credits that they’ve earned. Every year, around $50 billion from the government is available to small- and medium-sized businesses through the R&D tax credit. But many business owners don’t know about it or don’t realize they’re eligible, which means they are missing out on vital free capital to invest and grow their businesses.
Ardius is looking for an experienced R&D professional to work with our expanding Qualitative group to substantiate R&D tax credit activities for clients.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Work with the Qualitative Team to document Research and Development (R&D) Tax Credit activities for clients.
- Conduct interviews including review of documentation to translate technical development activities into tax definitions for qualified research and development
- Analyze technical documents to ascertain and document tax treatment of items
- Assist in the process of documenting R&D activities for Ardius’ large customer base.
- Construct technical narratives to accurately and efficiently convey technical concepts using standard industry terminology
- Delegate to others to provide stretch opportunities, coaching them to deliver results.
- Use a broad range of tools and techniques to extract insights from current industry or sector trends
- Self-review own work and review Associates’ work for quality, accuracy and relevance.
- Providing candid, meaningful feedback and mentoring Associates in a timely manner; and keeping leadership informed of progress and issues.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Minimum one year of tax experience in public accounting firm or corporate taxation experience or recent full-time industry experience in product management or technology consulting experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office or Google applications including Word, Excel, Google Doc and Google spreadsheet along with experience performing internet research
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Working knowledge of the R&D tax credit, including regulations and case law affecting R&D tax credit qualification of activities.
- Knowledge and experience of the R&D process and major job descriptions within an industry vertical. Examples of such knowledge may include:
- basic knowledge of cloud computing platforms, software development processes (SDLC), and solution architecture.
- Hardware development process including prototype building, unique expenses characterization in hardware development process which will be applicable for pilot model treatment court case etc.
- Various tech related trends and topics including AI, Machine learning, cyber security, robotics, IoT, blockchain etc.
- Basic knowledge of FDA approval process and pharmaceutical drug development processes including animal test and human test steps.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, engineering, or related field from an accredited college/university or a J.D. from an accredited law school.
- Demonstrated experience in engaging senior technical management, solution and enterprise architects and owners to gather requirements, assist with technical sales or conduct technology evaluations
- Experience working with multiple industry verticals in R&D tax credits
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home with us.
Our company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Our company considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.