Developer Experience at Gusto is a small but growing engineering team that empowers the 200+ engineers at Gusto. Gusto product engineers move tens of billions of our customers’ dollars every year and the Developer Experience team helps them work efficiently, securely, and enjoyably.
About this Role
This role is a Software Engineering role in our Foundation Engineering organization. The ideal candidate will be able to understand the needs of Gusto Product Engineers, and build the tools and services owned by the Developer Experience engineering team. The Developer Experience team is engaged at all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle, we build tools to increase efficiency during feature development, ensure our continuous integration and continuous deployment process is efficient and delivers fast feedback, and provide observability tools to help engineers understand the behavior of our software in production.
Here’s what you’ll do (and we’ll support you so you’re great at it):
- Ensure our services communicate with each other seamlessly, have minimal downtime, and recover quickly.
- Collaborate with the rest of the engineering team on coming up with best practices for writing, maintaining and running reliable services.
- Improve our infrastructure setup and deployment strategies.
- Impact the productivity and happiness of our entire team with the tools you build. You'll be the daily recipient of hugs and high-fives from our engineering and support teams.
- Collaborate with the tools development team to improve our deploy pipeline.
- Pager-duty rotation: Never fear! Most issues occur during work hours.
- Work with our product engineering teams to ensure high performance of our services.
You'll know you're a good fit for this role if you have:
- 3+ years of experience in a Platform, SRE, or DevOps role using a Ruby/Kubernetes/AWS stack or similar technologies
- Experience developing best practices to build out and maintain secure infrastructure, CI systems, service oriented applications, and more
- Enjoys working and deploying technologies such as Kubernetes, AWS, Ruby, Rails, MySql, and Redis
- Loves building tools enabling engineers to move faster, while maintaining security
- Understands the importance of security and compliance when working with personal data
- Tests infrastructure changes thoroughly and likes to double and triple check everything
Learn more about the team:
- Our Engineering Culture and Values
- How We Built a Service-Driven Team
- Our Diversity Goals and Efforts
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $85,000-$179,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $109,000-$224,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.