Gusto’s Foundation software engineering teams ensure that our Product teams can focus on building impactful products that quickly meet our customers' needs now, and that their path to doing so in the future is clear. The Product Infrastructure team is part of Foundation. We work deep in the guts of our large systems, Backend-Rails and Frontend-React architectures, and core to our asynchronous application processing, background jobs and events. If this sounds like you or if this is of interest to you then join us!
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
As part of the product infrastructure engineering team you will be maintaining the smooth operations of some of the most important parts of the software that directly serve Gusto’s customers. This spans from keeping them up-to-date and making them more performant, to creating new abstractions that make product engineers more productive.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Seek out problems and inefficiencies in our tooling, APIs, and feedback mechanisms available to product engineers today
- Ideate solutions, and then pitch, plan, measure, and implement them in an iterative fashion
- Maintain close connection with our product engineering colleagues to see the next change around the corner
- Create leverage for all of product engineering through your work on services, abstractions, and architecture
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 2-5 years of experience with software development and architecture
- Experience and/or interest in building tooling that makes your engineering colleagues successful
- Experience and/or interest in Ruby, Rails, architecture, developer tooling, asynchronous processing, and agile and lean software development
- Great communicator: We regularly make changes to how product engineers work, and must be able to effectively plan, document, consult, and collaborate with them. The ability to use anecdotes and data to illustrate the impact of your work.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $136,000/yr to $187,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $170,000/yr to $234,000/yr for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.