The Design Systems team is a group of folks whose primary goal is to empower internal teams to build high-quality and cohesive UI/UX with as much efficiency as possible. We do so by modularizing, creating reusable React components, and upgrading the quality of our front-end.
What’s fascinating about our team is that we’re not just Engineers! Half of our team are Designers who know a thing or two about development. Our broad expertise makes us extremely cross-functional and our projects get directly consumed by the entire product.
If you’re an engineer that respects Design, is interested in being at the intersection of Design and Engineering, and wish to influence the product, you’ll want to join our team!
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
At Gusto, we are building the world-class people platform for small businesses, and our growth engineering team is laser-focused on finding new and innovative ways to bring users on to it. The Design System team operates in a fast-paced, data-driven environment where the goal is to optimize for learning to improve all points of the journey of becoming a customer.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Build reusable components for our component library
- Write user-friendly design-system documentation for our product teams to use
- Build tooling for our design system & our core product
- Develop tools to ensure that the quality, performance, and accessibility of Gusto’s reusable components continuously improves
- Make architectural improvements to Gusto’s frontend infrastructure
- Champion accessibility, component modularity, and performance
- Design Systems advocacy & evangelize front-end best practices
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 4+ years of experience working in a frontend or full stack engineering role
- Strong history of cross-functional collaboration with Design and/or other non-technical teams
- Experience in building UI components that are modular, composable, flexible, maintainable, and well-documented
- Experience with web application frameworks such as Ruby on Rails
- Familiar with emerging trends in web application development, including the various approaches to styling (CSS Modules, CSS-in-JS, Sass, etc.), component libraries (Material UI, Carbon, Polaris, and Lightning), design tooling (Figma, Sketch), and design system tooling (such as Storybook)
- Strong attention to detail
- Passionate about building for everyone because you understand the importance of accessibility
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $136,00/yr to $187,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $170,000/yr to $234,000/yr for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.