Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We are seeking a Product Counsel to join our Product and Commercial, Legal team to support Gusto, focused on building and expanding our insurance and benefits products. This individual will support and grow our mission to create a world where work empowers a better life and to build a better ecosystem for small businesses and their employees.
What it is like to Work with Gusto
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Navigate complex product and regulatory frameworks to design and mature innovative benefits products. This would include products related to group-sponsored health, life, disability, retirement plans (401k), property and casualty (Workers’ Compensation), and tax-advantaged accounts (FSAs, HSAs, commuter benefits, and HRAs). and more.
- Counsel the product, engineering, and design teams on healthcare, consumer protection, privacy, and intellectual property law as they build out new and existing benefits products. Benefits-related regulations include federal (ERISA, ACA, HIPAA, tax) laws, state laws, and state-level requirements for benefits.
- Identify dependencies and work cross-functionally with our partnerships, compliance, privacy, security, and commercial teams to create compliant, secure, and scalable benefits product experiences.
- Look around corners and creatively solve problems for the business as they plan, build, and execute on their product roadmap for our website, our mobile applications, and our Gusto Web Service IaaS offering.
- Guide and collaborate with our compliance and operations teams as we mature our processes, controls, and documentation related to how we build, offer, sell, and manage our benefits products, especially our brokerage products.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- JD degree with 7+ years of combined relevant legal experience in a law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal department working in the health, insurance, and/or benefits industries.
- Demonstrated experience in and strong familiarity working with ERISA, ACA, and HIPAA.
- Experience at a technology company launching products and features and advising on healthcare, consumer protection, privacy and data security, and IP law.
- Active license to practice law in California, Colorado, or New York, or ability to register in-house.
- Attention to detail and the ability to follow through in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player mindset (no job is too big or too small).
- A collaborative approach and demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, cross-functionally, and independently.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $152,000-$198,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $185,000-$231,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.