Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Are you interested in a fast-paced and diverse employment law gig that puts you in the mix of company-wide policy creation, product counseling, and ultimately driving our people-centric business? Are you excited by the prospect of a fast-growing company? Are you mission-first and want to spend your working hours at a place where work empowers a better life for our internal “Gusties” and our small business customers alike? Join us at Gusto in a pivotal role for our legal and compliance team as Employment Counsel.
We are looking for an experienced Employment Counsel to join our legal and compliance team. The Employment Counsel will be responsible for advising internal teams on Gusto’s employment practices and policies, addressing internal stakeholders on employment law questions, working with our product and compliance teams to envision and develop the HR technology of the future, and working closely with our marketing teams to develop content for our small business customers looking for guidance on employment law questions. Our ideal Employment Counsel will be deep into the latest trends in employment law and be willing to wear many hats and work cross-functionally with a large number of Gusto teams.
As our second Employment Counsel hire, this position will report to the Head of Employment, General Litigation, and Legal Operations.
What it is like to Work with Gusto
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Advise on a broad range of internal employment law matters, including recruiting, hiring, training, employee relations, performance management, diversity and belonging initiatives, compensation, leave of absence and accommodations, wage and hour, benefits, and terminations.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of internal employment documents, including employment contracts, internal policies and handbooks, and manage and update template documents regarding the same.
- Be a key partner to our People team in developing internal People policies, processes, practices and strategies while also serving as a key subject matter expert to the People team.
- Review and respond to internal claims, demand letters, audits, and other employment-related inquiries or litigation matters.
- Advise our product and compliance teams on creating the best external HR product (our “people platform”) for our small business customers, including by reviewing product plans, working with product developers and engineers and providing insight on a variety of HR matters that impact our product offerings and marketing materials.
- Work with our marketing team to develop opinionated guidance and content, including articles, blog posts, in-product guidance, and knowledge base articles for customers to ensure best practice with employment law standards.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 7-10 years of relevant experience at a law firm or in-house (ideally, a combination of both!).
- A passion for all things people, and mission alignment that people are the integral building block to all businesses.
- Proven ability to balance and prioritize delivery on a multitude of projects at once.
- Practical and sound business and legal judgement.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public-speaking abilities and experience working with and influencing diverse stakeholders and teams.
- Strong track record of partnership with the People function to create world-class HR systems and programs
- J.D. and bar passage in CA, CO, or NY is required.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $152,000-$181,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $185,000-$212,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.