We at Gusto are looking for an independent and detail-oriented Director of Tax.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
What it is like to Work with Gusto
We’ve been lucky enough to work with great partners to date, and it’s time to bring our first tax pro in house! This position will report to Gusto’s Controller and will be located in either New York City or San Francisco.
In this role, here's what you’ll do day to day:
Own corporate tax-related reporting, compliance and accounting at Gusto
- Prepare quarterly and annual tax provisions and related financial statement footnotes
- Draft tax-related memos and walkthroughs to document analysis and conclusions for complex transactions
- Reconcile and fully own tax-related GL accounts as part of the month-end close process
- Oversee, prepare, or serve as point of contact for and manage external tax advisors on indirect tax compliance, including US sales & use, gross receipts, property tax, and business licenses to ensure timely accurate reporting and remittance.
- Keep pace with relevant tax regulation and tax planning projects
Work with cross-functional teams on complex issues
- Manage and leverage external vendor relationships
- Provide subject matter expertise to potential M&A and corporate transactions
- Guide internal teams through tax implications of potential equity scenarios
- Lend tax advice to Product and Engineering teams, when called upon
Drive Gusto to be operationally mature
- Develop and maintain transfer pricing agreements domestically and internationally
- Own tax-related workstreams during subsidiary legal entity setup, including internationally
- Assist in SOX procedure development and implementation
- Manage external advisers supporting the function
Here's What We're Looking For
- BS degree in accounting/finance required, Masters in Tax nice to have.
- Active CPA license
- 8+ years of tax compliance and/or tax consulting experience, with time spent in a Big 4 tax department
- SaaS/technology industry strongly preferred
- Public company experience required, prior IPO experience a nice to have
- Excellent comprehension and operationalization of tax guidance and law
- Systems Background - Experience with the following systems preferred, but not required: Netsuite, Avalara, Shareworks, Workiva. Experience implementing corporate tax solution a plus.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $180,000 to $227,000 per year for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.