We’re looking for engineers passionate about scalability, security, and enabling elegant solutions to complex problems to come join Gusto and help us accelerate our mission to create a world where work empowers a better life.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
About the Role
As an Infrastructure Engineer, you will design, build, and own the systems underlying everything that Gusto does in service of our customers as well as our staff. Our area of responsibility and expertise has enormous leverage: engineering decisions we make today will enable Gusto to grow seamlessly far into the future.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Develop and own the platform underlying all Gusto products, including critical customer-facing and financial systems
- Respond to incidents related to scaling challenges, security concerns, and use those experiences to continually improve our system holistically
- Contribute to the continual evolution of our core infrastructure architecture, which we run on AWS and Kubernetes and manage with Terraform
- Work with product engineering teams to determine the best way to meet our customers’ needs
- Design, build, and maintain large-scale services, job pipelines and systems across Gusto’s engineering teams
- Work cross-functionally with many teams: Engineering, product, technical operations, Data Science, Finance, Accounting, etc.
- Work on systems critical to Gusto, moving billions of dollars for millions of people and hundreds of thousands of companies.
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Experience working hands-on with production systems, or other demonstrable experience involving constant risk/reward tradeoffs.
- Experience with modern infrastructure tooling, e.g. container orchestration, cloud providers, and infrastructure as code tools.
- Candidates who value maintainability over cleverness.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise
You’re not expected to have expertise across all of these areas! We have wonderful team members who focus on our customers’ needs and build amazing user experiences.
At Gusto, we strive to provide rewards that empower employees to achieve their financial and personal goals. We offer competitive compensation packages with a strong emphasis on equity based compensation (ownership in Gusto). To learn more about Gusto’s compensation philosophy and benefits offerings please view our Total Rewards Approach page.
Our cash compensation range for this role is $100,000/yr to $219,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $122,000/yr to $240,000/yr in San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.