About the team
Product Design at Gusto is made up of over 45 creative, collaborative, people who care deeply about our mission to empower small businesses and their employees. We’re a cross-functional bunch focused on design, research, and writing who are always looking for opportunities to build understanding and empathy for the people who use Gusto. We don’t care a whole lot about swim lanes and we work closely with our partners in product, engineering, data, and marketing. We are passionate advocates for thoughtful, crafted, and inclusive experiences and we believe great design can make hard things possible, even delightful.
About the company
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. Every touchpoint a business has with their employees offers an opportunity for meaningful connection, from payroll and health insurance, to onboarding and team management. We believe that work can empower a better life and that small businesses are the backbone of the economy. Gusto’s team is distributed with home bases in San Francisco, Denver, and New York, and with many people working remotely across the US and Canada. We serve over 100,000 businesses and over a million of their employees. Read more about what it’s like to work at Gusto on our careers page.
About the opportunity
In this role, you have the unique opportunity to serve as the first Growth Designer dedicated to our Accountants segment. You will focus both on creating a seamless new customer onboarding experience, helping our Accountants and their clients quickly discover the value of Gusto. You will help evolve Gusto’s Accountant segment into an opinionated partner that guides our customers to solutions which solve real needs, while driving toward substantial business growth.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Develop the vision for the Accountants segment end-to-end customer journey which spans from the top of funnel, into onboarding, through to adding all Accountant’s Clients onto Gusto’s platform
- Translate quantitative data and qualitative insights into hypotheses and informed design decisions
- Define and execute A/B tests and multivariate experiment designs as part of a wide range of strategic tactics for getting people more engaged with our products across customer journeys
- Lean into service design techniques to work cross-functionally with product management, engineering, marketing, customer success, and sales to develop priorities and drive toward key KPIs
- Go beyond best practices and think outside of the box when it comes to growth design strategies
- Mentor designers and cross-functional partners in how best to approach problems, moving quickly and driving high quality and impactful outcomes
- Cultivate a creative design process that is built on inclusion and strong cross-functional collaboration
- Use brand guidelines effectively to create experiences that build our brand and achieve business goals
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Strong expertise across business strategy, product thinking, interaction, visual design, and customer empathy
- Strong analytical skills, data-driven thinking, evidence of a hypothesis-driven design approach, and focus on the business impact of the designs you ship
- A pro at using quantitative and qualitative methods to develop a deep understanding of target audiences and user behavior
- Strategic thinker who has experience working across the entire customer journey
- Strong communicator, collaborator, and advocator
- Service design experience and/or understanding of how use service design techniques to maximize cross-functional customer and business impact
- Ability to work at different altitudes; strategic visualizations in support of long-term design goals to detailed user flows and design specs
- Expert in combining typography, layout, color, and modern user interaction patterns into strong visual communication
- Systems thinker and an eye for process improvement a plus
- Passion for Gusto’s mission and the impact we can have on the world
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $127,000/yr - $174,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, and $154,000/yr - $212,000/yr for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.