About the team
Product Design at Gusto is made up of over 45 creative, collaborative, people who care deeply about our mission to empower small businesses and their employees. We’re a cross-functional bunch focused on design, research, and writing who are always looking for opportunities to build understanding and empathy for the people who use Gusto. We don’t care a whole lot about swim lanes and we work closely with our partners in product, engineering, data, and marketing. We are passionate advocates for thoughtful, crafted, and inclusive experiences and we believe great design can make hard things possible, even delightful.
About the company
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. Every touchpoint a business has with their employees offers an opportunity for meaningful connection, from payroll and health insurance, to onboarding and team management. We believe that work can empower a better life and that small businesses are the backbone of the economy. Gusto’s team is distributed with home bases in San Francisco, Denver, and New York, and with many people working remotely across the US and Canada. We serve over 100,000 businesses and over a million of their employees. Read more about what it’s like to work at Gusto on our careers page.
About the opportunity
Design and user experience is at the center of everything we do in Gusto and is one of our key differentiators. We are a customer-obsessed company, and we believe that everyone who is involved in product development should deeply understand the needs and experiences of our customers. As the Senior UX Researcher, you’ll have the unique opportunity to create research roadmaps, implement foundational research programs, connect the business strategy and customer insights, and create exceptional products that our customers and internal teams will love and will set the bar for the industry. You will also work closely with our Product & Design teams to amplify our customer centricity and evolve the business & product strategy for Gusto as a whole.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Develop a strategic research roadmap to identify and answer the most critical questions about our customers in partnership with product and design teams and cross-functional stakeholders. This can range from generative strategic research to more tactical evaluative research.
- Synthesize/analyze data and findings, developing actionable insights, outputs and frameworks for both short term and long term research needs.
- Design compelling and digestible deliverables, focused on visually telling the story and highlighting important insights for longevity.
- Evaluate and experiment with new and emerging methods and technologies, and identify if and how to incorporate them into the team’s toolkit.
- Coach cross-functional partners as they craft their approach to the challenge at hand. Optimize for helping them deliver credible, actionable insights which drive confident, bold, customer-focused business & design decisions.
- Work with our UX Research Operations team to identify opportunities & process for teams to partner up on research, and to shape Gusto’s research practices from the ground up.
- Collaborate closely with other research and user engagement functions (Data Science, Marketing, Customer Experience, and Sales) to Identify leading-edge customer behaviors, attitudes, expectations, and values, and uncover new experience opportunities.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Proven track record ( 3+ years’ experience) in leading user research projects with demonstrated impact
- Practical experience with a wide variety of qualitative and quantitative research methods, techniques for synthesis, and testing tools. You should be comfortable with survey design and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to make smart decisions about how and when to apply research methods based on solid understanding of their benefits and tradeoffs.
- Self-aware and polished communicator who can collaborate effectively with peers, participants, and team leads.
- Embraces and thrives in a high-paced, changing, potentially ambiguous but highly dynamic culture
- Independent, proactive problem-solver who can adapt to changing priorities while staying in sync with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to collaborate with other researchers, designers, product managers, product marketers, and engineers
- Open to trying new ways of working and teaching the broader organization how to integrate research into our daily activities.
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Eagerness to continually learn, grow and improve the craft of research.
- Genuine empathy for small business owners and employees and a deep desire to improve their lives.
Bonus points for:
- Success with UX research in B2B & regulated industries.
- Strong quantitative data analysis chops.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $127,000 - $174,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $154,000 - $212,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.